Worries about ablation etc

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all,

I've had infrequent SVT episodes for about 8 years. In that time, through fear of reoccurring episodes I have cut down on pretty much all forms of exercise, which is impacting my lifestyle.

I caught the SVT on an ambulance ECG about a year ago. Since then I’ve seen two cardiologists who have both, without hesitation, said I should have an ablation (even with the knowledge that my episodes aren’t that frequent). Both dismissed the use of drugs as they thought that the side effects would outweigh the benefits, and both downplayed the seriousness of an ablation (one says if he completed the procedure on Friday I should be back at work on Monday, the other compared it to a dental procedure).

I’m terribly scared of an ablation, but also live in fear of SVT episodes (which can be triggered by simple things like lifting heavy objects or bending down).

Are drugs really not worth it? Is an ablation now so safe that it’s the go-to option even if the episodes aren’t that bad?

Thanks in advance. I’d really like to talk to some people that have had ablations on the phone if possible... if anyone can think of a way to make that happen that would be great.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't know where you are OP but I'm in the UK.

I was diagnosed with SVT a couple of years ago and like you I curtailed my activity. I was put on calcium channel blockers which do have some side effects. After a very bad episode of SVT involving A&E and an overnight stay my dosage was increased and I was referred to electrophysiology. The NHS moves slowly but when I was eventually seen the electrophysiologist was immensely reassuring and I went for the procedure. It was unsuccessful as they failed to trigger an even but I am on the waiting list for a repeat attempt.

The process was treated as very routine and if you have had SVT you would feel familiar with the sensations.

In addition the Doctor told me not to restrict activity out of fear. He advised me to build up exercise and warm up but that fitness could only be beneficial. I followed his advice and am now much fitter and less fearful of triggering an attack.

• Posted

Thanks for all this. I generally am a bit scared of exercise right after a bad episode, then after a while I gain in confidence until I have another bad episode. I just can't play football or run though, they are far more likely to set it off. Cycling works for me but it still happens sometimes. I'm still not a tiny bit fit, and not particularly overweight or anything. I'm pretty set on getting an ablation but it just scares me... on the NHS too.

• Posted

Hi!

I have infrequent episodes, too, and I have an appointment at the EP next week. I was offered ablation in January, and I'm not on meds, either. Today on Facebook Dr. Gupta (cardiologist in the UK) had a live Q&A, asked his opinion about an ablation with infrequent episodes, and his answer was to undergo the procedure so I wouldn't worry about SVT again. So I think ablation is a very common treatment for this condition.

• Posted

Thanks for this - I think this is the way that the NHS is going. They didn't really even want to know how frequent it was. Something like this with both cardiologists:

'Is it affecting you? Does it make you think twice about doing things like swimming when you're on holiday or running after your kids?'

'Yep'

'Get it done'.

Their confidence was surprising and a little unnerving... but ultimately I guess it's just the huge gap between it being their 9-5 job (no big deal) and me getting poked in the heart (big deal).

• Posted

Hi

I had an ablation 18 months ago and it was the best thing i did. I had had sporadic episodes of SVT for probably 3-4 years but these had never been captured on ecg despite lots of tests.

When they began to become a bit more frequent and lasted long enough to be captured on ecg, my consultant immediately suggested the ablation. He did mention taking tablets but once i realised that would be for the rest of my life, I chose the ablation.

I am not saying I wasn't nervous but I trusted my consultant and it worked out well for me. He managed to deal with it during that first procedure and (touch wood) I have had no SVT since. Some people do need more than one attempt to deal with it and others find that they are not suitable for ablation.

My ablation took approx. one hour thirty minutes from start to finish and i opted for an overnight stay in hospital. The next day, I felt a little tired but after a few days rest, was fully recovered.

I had a good experience and take no medications. Talk to your consultant, they should be able to help with any fears/nerves. I totally understand that it is scary!

Like you, I came on this forum to ask others for their advice before making my decision. Its good to get other people's experiences and views but only you can decide.

I hope it all goes well for you and that you find a way to get rid of the SVT.

Best wishes

• Posted

I was diagnosed with SVT in 1992 and used medication.. an older style (Proprananol). It worked well for years although I did still have episodes requiring medical reversal of the rhythm. In 2015 I started to have very frequent episodes landing me in ED. These were occurring everywhere doing the most benign things.. like bending over and even laughing. I work as a midwife so the last straw for me was two episodes in one week at work and having to be taken to ED. I saw a cardiologist who said i could change meds or have an ablation. I had put off having a ablation because I was terrified of the procedure. I finally had it done in January of 2016.. it was the best thing I did. No more meds. Occassionally I still get a thump here and there which would signal the start of an episode but now the pathway is no more it cant start. Recovery was good. I took a week off work to rest and haven't looked back.. where are you located. I can highly recommend Dr Chan who works out of RPA hospital. He specializes in electrophysiology of the heart, has written numerous papers and is on various boards. Very well credentialed. I finally got a name for my SVT of AVNRT. I saw him a week later and haven't had to see him again.

• Posted

Was awakened by SVT at 8:55a-m. Weather forecast was 60% rain. Got control with corotid pressure in 5 minutes to about 80 beats/min. Back to 60 after few hours, return of sunshine.

• Posted

A further note; pharmacist Ben Fuhks in an article in Critical Health News on meditation being the best medication notes: ""vagus nerve", which activates the parasympathetic nervous system." The vagus nerve in the neck is where I apply firm finger pressure as soon as I have ventrical "stoppage" in order to return to a normal pulse. So there may be a connection between SVT and the parasympathetic and meditation may be something worth trying.

• Posted

Hi!

Have you decided what are you going to do? Yesterday I was at the EP, he immediately gave me a few pages of the procedure and what are the possible complications. He wrote down every little detail of me, height, weight, do I smoke, have diabetes etc. Now I only have to decide do I want it or not. As I already mentioned, I have infrequent episodes, too, but the doc didn't said anything about that.

• Posted

Has anyone had blood tested for troponin 4 hours after SVT onset? Indicates release of heart repaiar

enzyme. Mine sot up to 13; should normally be under one.

Anyone know what happens to the ablated area of the heart?

When I get the SVT onset sensation I quickly press firmly the vagal area of neck to restart and resume regular heart beat.

• Posted

Hi Chris,

I've just been reading your post. I suffered with SVTs for 6 years, then in 2017 they became more frequent and lasted longer. In the space of three months I had three ambulances- one off the beach in Bude- not a good look 😃

I was referred to my local cardiologist (amazing man) on 3rd July 2017 and he squeezed me in for catheter ablation on the 7th July 2017.

The whole procedure was amazing. The hospital I had it done at was incredible. You are awake, but you are comfortable. The nurses explain as the cardiologist does his work.

I will be eternally grateful to my cardiologist as I feel he gave me my old life back, pre SVTs.

I would do it again if need me but so far, so good, nearly two years on.

Chris, I would say, if you are in England and your SvTs are interferring with your life, or even the anxiety of Svts is interferring with your life, seriously consider the ablation.

GOOD LUCK! Any questions please do ask.

• Posted

i have had 7 attacks in two and a half years, i should have had an ablation last october but decided to wait and see. I am concerned about having the procedure in case it causes further problems, i have palpitations, ectopics and leaking mitral valve but try to remain active for my 72 years but it is uncomfortable sometimes. Bending over,lifting,anxiety and tiredness can trip my uncomfortable symptoms into action. i read too many peoples posts of problems after the ablation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.