Worries about grandsons neck lump

Posted , 2 users are following.

He is nearly 3 years old had a visible neck lump for  few months.  Beginning of August doctor was going to send for blood test if antibiotics didnt shrink it but due to reaction to penicillin had to see another doctor who wouldnt give a blood test but sent for ultrasound scan.  Scan was yesterday and sonographer said there was lots not just one and both sides of neck - seemed perturbed that he had not had blood test and said he has to have blood test. If she saw something serious would she have had to all someone in to look?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janet. I too am a nan and can fully appreciate how worried and upset you must be. The results of the scan will be sent to the doctor who requested it, it will be him who orders a blood test. Can I ask, has your grandson been unwell? Has there been weight loss, is he running a temperature? Your doctor should receive results of the scan within 2 weeks, I would suggest that you ring your doctors receptionist, ask how long it usually takes for the doctor to receive results and make an appointment to see him when he has them. Meanwhile if your grandson takes a turn for the worse I would take him straight to A & E and tell them his symptoms and what the scan revealed. I wish I could do more to reassure you, all I can offer is advice and support.But please keep in touch, as a nan my thoughts are with you.

• Posted

Hi Joy, thanks for reply.  The thing is he has not shown signs of being unwell re temperature etc.  Had as doctor said "bugs in his ears" earlier this year after weeks probably into months of very mucky dark waxy ears which Health Visitor said not to worry about as "children can get this" had ear drops for a week told to miss his swimming lesson that week but not asked to go back for follow up but ears did clear - then when went about lump as had been their so long in August and thats when was given antibiotics as doctor said there were some yellow spots on throat but there again no sign of being unwell with it. No noticable tiredness he does sleep in late sometimes or have long daytime naps but when awake is hyperactive - last few months though hardly eats much during the day after weetabix breakfast takes a few mouthfuls of other meals and thats it though pasta meals normally go down so could just be acquired fussiness.  We hope it may be infections going unnoticed for so long as he doesnt show any outward symptoms of being unwell if doctor had taken swab of ear and other doctor lookied in throat because we took him for lump we wouldnt have known anything was there.  The problem is when you google (you can understand why doctors dont like you doing it) about enlarrged lymph nodes and you have the sonographer saying there is a lot both sides you must get a blood test you get the worrying illnesses popping up on the different websites.

If you have ready my latest ramble many thanks again.  Its good to have somewhere to put your thoughts into words.

• Posted

Couldnt find how to edit above post to correct spelling also should have read 'if doctor hadn't taken swab'

• Posted

Hi Janet. You ramble away, that's what we're here for. The fact that he had issues with his ears and then with his throat leads me to think that there's been an infection there that has not been properly dealt with which would explain the swollen lymph nodes in his neck too. A blood test would probably either confirm this or rule it out. The food issue is probably just because of his age - both my grandchildren were nightmares with food at that age so I really wouldn't worry too much about that. If it is a bit of a concern get him some children's vitamins just to make sure he's not lacking anything that could affect his immune system. Worked well for our two. Get him back to the doctor as soon as you think the scan results are there and ask for that blood test.

• Posted

Thanks Joy.  My daughter is contacting them tomorrow morning hoping to speak to the Doctor who wanted to take the blood test in August.
    • Posted

Hi Joy, been looking at other posts and see that you have been through a lot yourself and still are and you give so much support on here. Grandson saw GP this morning and is getting a FBC blood test. Got to make appointment when a pediatric nurse can be available at our health centre. My daughter (his mum) also had an appointment yesterday for swelling at the side of her.nose. They put a camera up said it was just bone but on doing this examination found that she needs a biopsy on something that could be suspicious. Biopsy could take 4weeks. She also has a CT scan on the 3rd October for a lump she felt on her scalp front of head.
    • Posted

Hi Janet. You know, there are just some people who are prone to developing lumps and bumps. With your grandson and your daughter both with undiagnosed as yet lumps maybe this could be a hereditary thing and nothing scary at all. You must be incredibly worried with your grandson and daughter undergoing tests, I would be devastated. But, you must remember that whatever the outcome of the tests modern medicine is a wonderful thing, huge advances in treatments are being made every week. So please don't despair, I'm sure when all the tests are done and treatment plans decided on all will be well. Have faith and keep in touch.

• Posted

Thank you. I have to hope that my grandsons are just infected nodes and my daughters are tested normal.
    • Posted

Grandson had blood test today.  Had appointment at local health centre but nurse had trouble finding a vein and when she did after calling in another nurse could only get out a very small amount so she sent us of to hospital to have it done.  Nurse there had touble finding too but luckily managed to get enough fairly quickly.  He had numbing spray both times and it was back of hand both times as arm creases were no good.  He only grizzled a little - watched intently - a brave boy

• Posted

Bless him, children are so resilient. Please let me know what the results are.
    • Posted

Seen results online as can view medical record through patient access and it say online there is letter on way to make routine appointment. I have tried to make sense of them on Google mentions types of anaemia which could have underlying causes - saw leukaemia mentioned and kidneys with the results. These are the tests highlighted as out of range - spellings could be wrong as writing small on phone. Haematocrit 31.9% (normal 34-40%) Mean corpusc.haemoglobin (MCH) 24.5pg (normal 27.3-32.6pg) Serum Ferritin 22.5ug/L (normal 30-400ug/L) Serum Urea level 5.7mmol/L (1.2-5mmol/L). Any thoughts. Will find out later this week but trying to be prepared.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.