worrying about pelvic floor repair op

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have grade 1 cystocele and grade 3 rectocele. I was put on waiting list for repair op last Aug, with possible hysterectomy. I was booked in hosp 4th Jan but op was cancelled due to winter pressures on NHS. I have suffered with prolapse for 3 years, since I started menopause. I am 54. To start with I was referred to physio for pfe, I did these 3 times a day for 18 months, but the prolapse got worse.They then tried 4 different types of pessary but each one either fell out or slipped down to an uncomfortable position.The consultant then said surgery was the only option. The prolapse is uncomfortable but not painful, I have no trouble with bladder or bowels. Sometimes I have to rearrange myself lol. Since my op was cancelled I have found this website. What an eye opener. I haven't been told anything about the recovery. Only that it will take about 6 weeks!! reading the posts I am not so sure. I am quite active, walking, badminton, gardening, yoga and a fairly physical job which gets really busy March to Sept. I'm also self employed. I am beginning to think about putting op off. But I go back to square 1 on waiting list. After reading some of the posts I think I may well just put up with the discomfort. No word from hosp yet when my op will now happen. Any words of advice please. Sorry to go on and on and on!

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

The decision has to be yours of course but I would say if you aren’t having any bladder or bowel problems then maybe you should wait. Would you be able to notice any difference if you had the op? 

I’ve had two prolapse operations and I am the same age as you. Not everyone has problems with recovery (6 weeks is very optimistic!)  but I would ask your urogynaecologist if they honestly think you would notice any difference afterwards?

• Posted

Hi Imnotadoctor

Thanks for replying. I do know what you are saying. I am uncomfortable, I can feel the prolapse and it rubs and is a bit sore when I walk. I just carry on, some days are worse than others. I've found wearing a pad helps comfort wise. I can see the prolapse when I sit on the toilet. So I would hope surgery would make me feel normal again, I've never had an op and I'm real nervous. So glad I found this site I've no one to talk to about this.

• Posted

Hi Imnotadoctor. I do at times feel quite uncomfortable. Walking can feel sore, I've found wearing a pad helps a bit. I can clearly see prolapse when I sit on toilet. I am always aware it is there. I quite often rearrange myself. I've never had any leakage. But did used to suffer pressure on my bladder. When I bend over the prolapse kind of pops out. After reading posts on here I thought 6 weeks was very optimistic. After op at some point apart from heavy lifting can you still garden etc and carry on as normal? I am so glad I found this site ??

• Posted

Hi, 

This forum is so helpful, it’s good to be able to speak to women who understand. There are so many things the doctors don’t tell you.  I had an anterior repair and hysterectomy in 2013.  Last November I had a posterior repair, sacrospinous fixation & perineum repair.  I have just returned to my part-time job. You won’t be able to lift anything more than a kettle half full of water for a few weeks, no hoovering etc., but after 6 weeks you can start to do more. I’ve been told I can never do heavy lifting so no mowing the lawn etc but there are lots of lighter jobs I will be able to do. As for exercise, you can go for short walks but you won’t feel like much more for a while. After your post op check up you will be able to swim if you like to do that or start gentle exercises. Make sure you get a physio appointment too. Follow the advice of your consultant and whatever you decide to do I wish you well. X 

• Posted

I had cystocele/rectocele surgery May 2017 stage 3 cystocele stage 2 rectocele. I was 63 at the time, no discomfort but having a little trouble with urine leaking whenever I had a cough. I also was concerned that the problem would worsen and didn't want to have to go through it when I was any older. The surgeon was very experienced. I had a spinal anesthetic because I had a chest cold at the time. One night in hospital, packing and catheter removed the next morning. My discomfort was minimal. It felt like menstrual cramps and pressure down below. Spotting for about 7 weeks and only allowed to use pads not tampons. The most important thing to remember is to not lift anything heavy and to not strain with bowel movements. I was advised to take stool softeners. Since the surgery I have noticed that occasionally if I hear water running, I have an urgent need to pee. Initially, there was a little discomfort along the incision line with sex, but that has resolved. Unfortunately, with my last chest cold I still had some leakage when coughing. I would advise you to think about how much of a problem you are having at present and decide if it is worth it to have surgery.

• Posted

Hi Kaleah thanks for the reply. It's so good to hear other women's experiences. Glad you got through it ok. You've made me feel better. I haven't any leakage problem and hope the op won't cause any. Glad to hear the part about sex. I'm worried about that.  I am at times very uncomfortable, sore when walking. I hoped the op would make me feel normal again. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear your op has been cancelled, it's so frustrating!! I was admitted, & ready to go to theatre when I got cancelled so I can relate.

Everybody is different & my opinion your surgeon wouldn't advise surgery if there was an alternative. I too wasn't given much info post op - I'm now 15 days & I don't know what I expected but was shocked at how uncomfortable I was 😔. However that said I don't think we should just put up with it. Way up all the options & make an informed decision that suits yourself.

Leave time for your recovery don't put a time constraint on it.

I've been exhausted but today I'm so pleased with myself I had a lovely soak in a bath & blew dry my hair (I've just been letting in dry naturally after my showers). Even got my legs & underarms defluffed lol 😜 am a happy knackered now & a bit crampy but every day I'm getting better.

Hope this helps be good to yourself & do what is best for you, there's always a listening ear on this site thank goodness I found it last week I thought I was going loopy xx 💕

• Posted

Hi Rosie124

oh it is frustrating to have op cancelled. But worse to have been admitted. I had a weeks notice. Thing is if it had gone ahead I would be 8 days post op now. I found this site Monday. Glad I did. So nice to know I'm not alone. No I feel I don't want to just put up with it. I get sore and uncomfortable. Your right of course I need to think about me, not work, family. You've had a really good day by the sounds of it. 💕😀isn't it great to have other people in the same situation. Really helps. Hope your day is even better tomorrow

• Posted

I'm also considering the same surgery. I know you say you're uncomfortable but is it just a little bit at times? I can just about walk about with the discomfort. If I was still able to do sport then I would wonder whether it was needed.

• Posted

hi Rosa747 so nice to hear from someone in exactly the same situation. I am uncomfortable especially when I walk. It rubs and feels like a tampon falling out. When I sit on the toilet I can see it, it's down that far. I guess I am just determined to carry on. My husband did say you play sport, etc as if it can't be that bad. I keep thinking I just want to feel normal again.💕

• Posted

Hi Sheepy star.

It is a difficult decision to make and everyone has their own 'limit' of pain/discomfort/inconvenience they are happy to deal with. I have a bad back and chronic pain to deal with and have to work full time so a grade 2/ 3 rectocele was enough for me! I'm now 2 weeks post-op (rectocele/cystocele /Sacrohysteropexy) and have had a few hiccups but surprisingly little pain ( tho you've got to watch out for the first few BMs!) . I came home with a flip n flo catheter which was removed a week later and bladder was fine then. I'm 57 but used to being very mobile with job and gym but I know the more careful I am now (including pfe's and walking every day) the more likely it is to succeed. There's never any guarantees with surgery and because it's not talked about its actually hard to find accurate success stats for Pop Surgery. Try the APOPS website or private fb group - more info and room for discussion with loads of women worldwide there 😊. Remember too it tends to be mostly women with problems after surgery who will post on forums - the successful ones probably just get on with their lives! Hopefully I'll be one of them! Good luck with whatever route you decide to follow. Xx

• Posted

Hello lizzie60

you have given me hope thank you. As you say sometimes enough is enough. Yes I have read about the BMs😟 Yes I am like you very active with work, sports, dog walking etc. I feel like I just want it over and done with. As you say sometimes you have to look after yourself first and be kind to yourself. I would like to think if I have op and do all the right things it will be successful. I will try the APOPS website. Hopefully you and I will both be able to get on with our lives. Thanks you've really helped. Good luck keep me posted.💕😊

• Posted

May see you on the Facebook APOPS group then! The more info you get the more you'll be equipped to make the right decision for you. Lots of info in the 'files' section there as well as hearing other members experiencesay & advice. It's really helped me these last few weeks. I also summoned up the courage to 'come out' on my own facebook and have already have a friend contact me who I didn't know had it. I'm very keen to help demystify POP - although I can't help but think that my fb friends will just be imgaining my lady bits next time I see them! 😂. Ah well if i can help one woman who's suffering alone with pop then it'll be worth it! 😊 Take care xx

• Posted

Hi sheepystar! Why do they have to remove the uterus? I had mine removed in my first cystocele/histericele op and later the bowel problems have worsen a lot. The rectum and intestines tend to fill the gap that the removing of the uterus leave. I would recommend to ask the doctors for a good reason to have it removed. The uterus supports the intestines, when they remove the uterus the intestines tend to fall down. Please be careful about that, I wish I had known about that before. Hugs!!!!!
    • Posted

Hello Hijadeonagro. thanks for replying. I totally agree with what you say. They say if my uterus is dropping I will need hysterectomy at same time. Otherwise I will still have prolapse to deal with later and face another op. Seems to me whichever way I do it I may face another op later. I did stress I didn't want a hysterectomy unless absolutely necessary. Consultant said they wouldn't know until I was out on the operating table and he can have a good poke about!! Hope you are getting on ok. How long was your recovery time? this website is a godsend. Hugs to you!!!

• Posted

sorry forgot to ask how many repair ops have you had? seems most people here have had more than one!
    • Posted

I’ve had 2, cystocele/hysterectomy and rectocele. Both vaginally. But for me they weren’t painful at all, just the first 2 days. 
    • Posted

Sounds like you got through it all ok. How are you now? Are you the same age as me? I'm 54 . I'm trying to get as much info as I can to help me make a decision. Doctors don't really tell you much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.