Worse at Night

Posted , 9 users are following.

My wife is 65. Recently she has been experiencing mild pain from her left knee during the day when she is up and about. The strange thing is that the pain becomes much worse at night when she is in bed, particularly when lying on her side. Lying on her back lessens the pain. This is so counter intuitive because one would think that the pain would be the worst when the knee is in function during the day but no - although the pain is there somewhat during the day it's when the joint is unloaded that the pain is at its worst. Any idea of what could be causing these odd symptoms?

Cheers,       John

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

I can't explain why this happens but you are definitely right 

the pain does ease when walking around

perhaps the joint stiffens at night

Jean 

• Posted

I don't know the reason for this ,but do understand what she is saying and experiencing ... I had a TKR 18 weeks ago as there was no cartledge left in the knee . A lot of the pain was like a nerve pain and very painful even laying down ... She must get it checked out 

Pam 

• Posted

My leg pain was always worse at night...I couldn't understand either.  Someone told me they thought it was arthritis and I tend to agree.  I did have a PKR this summer and I no longer have the leg pain in my joints at night...  
  • Posted

I agree with the others but may I suggest sleeping with a pillow between her legs.
  • Posted

I'm a rare one here working to save my knee and myself from another replacement surgery, hip was too much for this lifetime for me.

My joints get worse at night and from being in bed all night, very stiff.   I use a lot of topicals, put on my knee before bed, during the night when I wake for bathroom and take supplements for joint help.   

We all do things to help ourselves as we find our ways...and each and everyone is different....but I get help for my joints for what I use....

Also I take 2 ibuprofen right before bed and do take DGL for stomach protection and this ibuprofen keeps me from pain all night......also use homeopathics for pain....so as I said we all work as we see fit for us.   Joy 76 US

If you want specifics let  me know, I just posted to someone else on what I do.    

• Posted

Thanks for your inputs Jean and Pam. Tell me Pam, was the TKR all that you hoped it would be?

Cheers, John

• Posted

Yes John, a painful op , but defo worth having done .i need the other doing, but since the op, the second is far less painful, so no rush this time 

pam 

• Posted

I had TKR ...BUT IT's early days so I'm told 

all I know is my knee was bone on bone when walking so for me there was no other option 

But everyone is different 

• Posted

hi , i too agree with what all the others have said , ive had 2 tkr s in 4 months and im now back at work full time so for me defo the right thing to do as i couldnt have worked befor , 

• Posted

That is VERY encouraging Debbie. That's what I want to get back to work!!
  • Posted

But I'm certainly not suggesting knee replacement.....I think this I what I think of as last resort.
    • Posted

Yes, I believe last resort for elective surgeries.....emergency is another thing.

I gather most are told it's bone on bone, my knee bones have been creeking for 15 yrs but I get a good bend and I stretch a lot and take joint support supps.   This creeking is called crepitus.

An MD on our weekend radio, says he gets patients all day long with the bone on bone mantra but he is forever saying if there is a bend, there is cartlidge there.....As I understand it, once the replacement is done, no more cartlidge as the knee is gutted out for the parts to be used.

He gets many patients who have done replacements and still have many issues and wants to know if this MD can help them.....he does prolotherapy work which rebuilds/regenerates the ligaments/tendons around the joibs....  He makes no claims about being able to help them if the surgery is already done.   I've had prolo in my shoulder and did good for at least 3 yrs.....I manage with what I do.

Guess I'm just paranoid about surgery period.  And disappointed in hip replacement outcome 4 yrs ago.....but no groin pain....but back issues are way worse.....

Everything is connected and we change one thing and the other is affected...a vicious cycle.

Some were saying on another post that men seem to do better with these knee replacements.....a friend of friend had one at 76 and she said he's doing good.....he's very athletic.    So.............

• Posted

You dont actually need cartilage in your joint after TKR. The metal joint and plastic spacer replace that (plus the damaged bone) So the lack of cartilage is a non-issue. And despite what the MD says in the radio programme, you CAN bend your knee with bone on bone arthritis. I did. It just hurts like hell. Why would you think people who claim to have bone on bone dont really have it? Surely they know more about their own knee than you do.

Good luck to you with alternative therapies, but I am 20 years younger than you. I want my life back and an end to pain. TKR is giving me that without having to fuss around with topicals and supplements.

• Posted

Everyone has choices -- you have yours and I have mine.....many that I know feel as I do, and I'm sure many feel as you do.

All valid but I'm just a person who never wanted surgery....emergency exempted......I chose two  surgeries in my life, hysterectomy and hip replacement, ended up with complications to both..... but with surgery that's the chance  you take.....I wish You all good with your surgeries and it would be nice to think good with what I do.    I've only shown the other wise of things......

So for years down the road with replacements, no more stiffness?    J  

• Posted

Hi Sandra

you are so right about the alternative therapies

to hear some people go on and on about things they know nothing about  ie ...bone on bone and cartilage....is she a Doctor?? 

I'm older than you Sandra but if TKR  gives me my life back I can only say thank you to the Surgeon and my GP who said I needed it

i think they know what they are talking about

Good luck Sandra the pain will soon be over 

• Posted

Well I already hsve less pain than I had before , and can walk further at 4 weeks after my second TKR so I am happy (  and 8 weeks after first,). I know many people who have had TKR who have dramatically improved their mobility, quality of life and health as a result. The incidence of successful outcomes far outweighs the failures. Sorry to hear about your surgery failures. Must be very frustrating for you. Can't you get them fixed? I thought US health care was second to none????
    • Posted

Exactly Jean. And it wiill give you your life back. And not only that, your general health will improve with improved mobility and no pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.