Worse dizziness after caloric vng test with cold and hot air

Posted , 1 user is following.

hi all so i have suspected scds ( a hole in my inner ear) but for some reason my dr thought it was BPPV so he sent me for caloric tests. i’m usually crazy in that I do hours and hours of research before doing any test, but I was on holiday and the test got booked immediately after return so I didn’t have time. Big regrets.

Before the test, I had baseline dizziness with my SCDS, which generally felt like a disequilibrium at all times.

So they used hot and cold air and both of my ears for like 30 seconds, each two times. The audiologist said not to quit because it was a very important test so that persuaded me to keep going even though the room was spinning when he did it and each ear. The spinning immediately stopped, but I did feel worse after. apparrently if you feel dizzy during it means your vestibular nerves are working correctly which it seems mine are.

it has been 2 weeks and I generally feel like my dizziness is way worse, and I have a trouble walking straight which I never had before the test. My eyes still heavy and tired and I go cross eyed when I even look from side to side. I also feel like I’m bouncing and the floor is falling as well as my bed is falling and I never had these sensations before. dramamine reduces the falling feeling but it makes me sleepy.

im only 26 and severely distressed that this test has permanently messed me up more. before i knew my dizziness was from the hole in my ear but now its made it so much more complex i dont know if its caused meniers disease or vestibular migraines or damaged the nerve or something.

anyone felt similar?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.