Worse in morning?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with gastritis last week. I've been taking 150mg of Zantac for a little under a week. I've noticed that when I wake up it's worse, burning in the upper middle back and I don't want to eat anything. I tried to eat a piece of turkey sausage and had to spit it out because I wanted to throw up. I feel like throughout the day it gets better and that I can eat a little more. Not much but I don't get nauseous when I eat. Of course I take a Zantac in the morning so that may be it. Are these really symptoms of gastritis or was my doctor just trying to push me off? She knows how I freak out about my health and constantly worry. How long will it take for the Zantac to get rid of this? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Since your doctor has given you a diagnosis, I would accept it.  I don't think your doctor would say you had gastritis simply to brush you off.  This would be unprofessional.  The fact that you got a diagnosis is good news.  Worry will make your symptoms worse.  Anxiety is not kind to the gut.  I am very anxious too and I got IBS because of stress. Simply concentrate on treating your gastritis with Zantac as you are doing and avoid anything acidic, fatty, spicy or rich. Eat little but often.  Ask your doctor for a gastritis diet sheet or ask to be referred to a dietician.  It can take time to heal gastritis and csn leave your stomach sensitive.

Everyone has their own food triggers but the common ones to look out for are chocolate, caffeine and alcohol.  Keep a food diary to identify them.  The turkey sausage may have disagreed with you because sausage is fatty and can be hard to digest.  I find fatty foods hard to digest too.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. But she diagnosed me by only pressing on my right side because that's where the pain was. But now the pain has moved to my left rib. She checked my liver by pressing on it and said it felt fine. Beginning of last month I had a CBC and a kidney and liver functions test, which all came out fine. But then again that was almost 2 months ago so I'm worried they missed something. I stay at home with my two kids and my husband works night shift so he sleeps during the day so I'm stuck in my thoughts. 

• Posted

Doctors can tell a lot from pressing on the area where you have pain..  If your pain is located in one area, this will tell the doctor which organs may be involved. You have also had tests done which came back normal. If there was anything wrong, it would have shown up.  Your doctor has been very thorough.  

When I had three and a half months of stomach pain with no diagnosis, I panicked at first and thought something had been missed soley because no one could tell me anything for such a long time. However, I accepted that my tests were normal even though though it was very frustrating.  In your case, you have a diagnosis.  When I was diagnosed with costochondritis, the doctor did a physical examination by pressing on the points of pain in the same way your doctor did for you.  I accepted this and my pain got better as the doctor said it would.

You could push for an endoscopy which is very invasive which would show whether you have gastritis or not.  However, you would have to be prepared to accept the result. All these tests are very accurate.  Try distraction techniques to take your mind off your pain. 

• Posted

Hi,

You might be having some kind of allergic reaction to Zantac, since the problems started right after you started taking it. Is there anyway you can go off the Med for a few days to see if the symptoms go away? I have heard the amino acid L-Arganine helps alot of people with Gastritis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.