Worse when tired - anyone else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with GAD and discharged from the CBT I was having because my scores were so low. I'm ok most of the time provided I've had enough sleep and what time of the month it is!

Does anyone else feel a lot more anxious when tired? I thought I was getting a lot better, in fact I must be because this morning I accepted a last minute invitation to a cafe from some people I don't know that well, despite feeling very tired, which leads me to feel jittery and on edge.

As soon as I sat down I felt trapped and I felt like I was talking at 100 mph and couldn't keep eye contact, then I felt very hot all over. I did my best to ignore it and after an hour I was a little better and then it was time to go. 

This really annoys me as I want to do these things, I want to be more sociable! I want to be relaxed like the others in the group and not have to feel like this.

I'm due to start sertraline tomorrow..will this help with these symptoms?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

That medication MAY help you.  I hope it does.  It did not work for me but my b/f said that he has NEVER met anyone that does not sleep on that drug.
    • Posted

And yes, lack of sleep from everything I read and learned in hospital does cause more anxiety and a faster heartbeat etc..because our bodies are not getting the "repair" rest they need.

• Posted

I really believe my lack of sleep is what caused my anxiety. Thank goodness the summer holidays are nearly here, that extra hour in the morning will make all the difference I think!
    • Posted

I think I'm going to give it a go as you never know. I know it can be different for everyone but have also read insomnia is a common side effect. Not what I want really!

• Posted

It is great that you are ignoring the symptoms! The medication will help you have the mental strength to reprogram your brain.. at least that is,what I am feeling.

Everything is always worse when you don't get enough sleep

• Posted

Thanks Diane524, I just spoke with my CBT therapist for the last time and she said the same. Knowing that anxiety is not a constant feeling and not to dwell on it is great and knowing that you're not avoiding situations is the best way to bulid your confidence with tackling anxiety.

I have another social thing to do in an hour and it may or may not cause the symptoms again but the important thing to do is just go anyway!

Let's hope I get more sleep tonight smile

• Posted

Wonderful. That is what my therapist says too. I am facing things and it seems the first time is the worst then it isn't as bad the next.

• Posted

The irony here is too much. We are all exhausted and sleep would be the best thing and best healing and yet we are too wired and anxious to get the well needed calm state to actually get a rem sleep on a daily basis. Forced sleep doesnt seem to rejuventate the body as a natural sleep. I agree with what your saying. It would be interesting if all this surrounded the lack of that calm rem sleep our bodies need to properly function.personally i am usually  tired.   I have no clue on the medicine, i cant use them but many in here can help you with that.
  • Posted

I t may calm you so you are more relaxed in public.  Good luck with it.
  • Posted

Yes a med will help, and get you back on track. Take it at night. Give yourself 2-3 weeks, and see how you feel. If your still tired, and have anxiety symptoms, let your doc know so they can try another or tweak that one. We have to be patient, but not to patient. All the best.
  • Posted

Hi,im the opposite,when Im tired I feel calmer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.