Worsening of depression/anxiety on increased dose.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started Venlafaxine just over four weeks ago, on 75mg per day. The first week was rough, but after 8-9 days things improved. 9 days ago I increased the dose to 150mg per day - was fine for the first week but the last two days have been dreadful, really bad depression and anxiety. Part of the reason I know is because I've been diagnosed two days ago with COPD, and it's frightening me to death. I'd feel better if i could believe that part of the reason also is the increased dose, as at least I can think this will lift after a couple of weeks on it. Anyone any similar experiences to share, please?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Took 6 weeks for it to work at 150. I felt pretty rough until then but it does work so stick with it.
    • Posted

Thanks Sarah - just coming up two weeks on 150mg so some time to go!
  • Posted

Aw I know it's hard when you first start the medication. Side effect etc can be difficult to deal with.

I would think your feeling this way because of the dramatic increase in your dosage. And your recent news. Give it time. You will start to feel the benefits soon but it does take time.

For me between 6 and 10 weeks I started to feel much better.

Don't rush yourself. Take it one day at a time and try some relaxation techniques. Anxiouty is awful, there are lots of tips on the Internet on how to relax your body. It's amazing house tense your body can get. Relaxing yourself will help you get through it.

I hope this helps. Talking is a brilliant way to help also. 😆.

• Posted

Thanks Joanna,

you're right, talking does help, and sharing experiences in these forums too. Easy to get things out of proportion when suffering anxiety and depression - doctor says more likely to die of a heart attack than COPD!

• Posted

Hi was wondering how you are now I have just had increase to 150 mg tuesday this week also doctor tapered me off mirtazapine which again ended Tuesday I have been on venlafaxine for nearly 6 weeks felt really ok Monday but each time I have increase I go downhill wondering when this will get better 

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

Just over three weeks now on 150mg per day and still up and down like a roller coaster! Good days, bad days, no apparent rhyme or reason. I'll just tough it out, I guess.

• Posted

Thanks for replying guess it is a waiting game tough though take care we can do this x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.