Worsening side effects on bisoprolol

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was diagnosed on Tuesday night with Bradycardia with episodes of ventricular ectopics. I was taken off the two BB's I have been taking for 17 odd years since I had a stroke and cardiac arrest and prescribed 1.25mg Bisoprolol instead. The palpitations are bad enough but the side effects are worse. Cold feet, dry mouth & throat, persistant tiredness, headache, flatulence and heartburn. I've only had 3 doses and I am worried that the side effects will get worse as the dose builds up inside me? I'm also concerned that I haven't seen any other reference to Bisoprolol being prescribed for bradycardia? Anyone else have any experience?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm so happy to say that following a conversation with the hospital pharmacist I have been taken off Bisoprolol and back on Atenolol which I have been on for 15 years without any problems. The side effects of Bisoprolol were ruining my life. I know only two percent of patients suffer but I had three of the worst side affects.

• Posted

I am happy for you David.

You doc says that only 2% of BB patients suffer.

But I have read some info that up to 25% of people on BBs eventually ask for a different drug because of bad side effects.

Anyway, good luck.

• Posted

Hey david can I please ask what your side affects were ? I've been on bisoprolol 2 weeks and the past week I've felt awful - so tired achey pain in my back chest arms cold feet and fingers shakiness inside and generally not with it !!!! I was on atenolol for a few years with no problems so may ask to switch back ......

• Posted

All of the above you mention plus dreadful hallucinations and nightmares.Very dry mouth & throat. Put on them twice while in hospital and I requested to be taken off and other drugs substituted. Home now and back on Atenolol (which has served me well for 15 years) and Ramipril which gives me a dry mouth and funny taste but is not nearly as bad as bisoprolol.

• Posted

Hi

I felt tired, too low blood pressure, too slow heartbeat, too slow breathing (as if my lungs were sleeping all the time), feeling tired, feeling as if I have flu all the time, feeling as if a truck has hit me, inability to walk on some days (as if something is holding me down and doesn't allow me to make more than a few steps).

If you felt better on Atenolol, maybe you should go back on it, since they are both Beta blockers, but each person reacts differently to each drug.

Good luck

• Posted

The doctor prescribed me Bisoprolol 5mg two pills a day for two to three weeks, then I started weaning a little until it stopped completely after less than two months and the symptoms began to appear. Less but still. Three months since I stopped taking this evil drug, the secret heartbeat and dizziness have gone away, but I still have a sore throat, suffocation, frequent swallowing, difficulty swallowing, and the ringing in the ears, but it became lighter, and when I asked the doctor, he told me it has nothing to do with this drug. I suffer from anxiety with Knowing that I did not suffer from such symptoms in my life until after I used Bisoprolol and stopped it. I am much better, but anxiety always accompanies me. As for pain when swallowing or pressure on the ears, but according to what I read here, I am not the only one. Almost everyone suffers from the same symptoms, and this is somewhat reassuring. I hope whoever found a cure that speeds up the withdrawal process will help us and everyone's safety

• Posted

hello, is anyone still active on this forum? i plan on stopping Bisoprolol soon. as i do not want to rely on this medication forever.

i am on 5mg. 2.5 morning and 2.5 night.

i have inappropriate sinus tachycardia but its not too severe.

before i started Bisoprolol in January my resting heart rate was between 90-101. whilst on Bisoprolol my Resting HR is 80. a couple of weeks ago i stopped taking it (weaning off over a couple weeks)

my heart rate has never been so high! i thought i was going to die and couldn't stop shaking with fear.

am i going to have to stay on this forever? i feel hopeless and don't know what to do 😦

• Posted

hi

i was in Bisoprolol just two months I was taking 10 mg ,Because my blood pressure is a little high, and it was the worst day of my life. I became like an old man. My body shivering, cold feet, dizziness, dizziness and ringing in the ears. I stopped taking it only after two months of using it. Loss of energy most of the time, foggy head and dizziness sometimes I feel better, but the adrenaline in our bodies is rushing with force. I give up and I have no solution but to take vitamins. I do not want to be negative, but I am afraid that it will not come out of my body. I am 39 years old, I admit that the tinnitus with time has improved, I just feel With a band in the ear, but ringing in the ears. Note: Do not ask the doctor, because it will worsen your condition. Do not use any medication. Pregnancy and time will end this despicable drug that caused me anxiety and incomprehensible fear.

• Posted

Hi,

I was unfortunately on Biso 15 months marked by:

• nightmares
    • back pain
    • anxiety
    • WORST OF ALL SHAKING when its time for new dose

In my experience looks like Biso "locks in" and "changes" how CNS and periphery nervous system communicate via various synapses, ions and channels which prevents it from being functional like it used to. As a result some get nervous system that is slowly degrading and dying so called nephropathy and it shows in blurred vision, balance problems, pain, SHAKING, WEAKNESS etc. Ofc, the more time you were on Biso and bigger the dose THE WORSE it is. Doctors will ofc convince you its OK for 35 year old to have all those symptoms, testament to just how far Hipocratic oath has come nowdays.

Any way, easily biggest mistake in my life, better would have been to spent jail time.

Tried to ween off but impossible. Anxiety, all sorts of pain, SHAKINESS are just to horrible to bear. Its like a doomsday machine. As added sound of horror you can even hear your heart beat in the brain but as irregular and distorted sound. Biso will simply NOT ALLOW anyone to tamper with its now properly "locked in" CNS and periphery neuro vegetative systems. You SIMPLY CANT "UNLOCK IT" to become normal again.

BUT, there was a solution in my case. Switched to Nebivolol it UNLOCKED IT at lowest dose 1.25 mg and in moments I started to feel much better. Its than possible to ween off Nebivolol if you wish but I don't have any side effects any more and Nebivolol as beta blocker does provide support against arrhythmia AND heart attack as is vasodilator so I stayed on 1.25 mg.

Regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.