Worsening sleep deprivation!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi! im 28 years old male and i have been going through some sleep problems which started suddenly out of the blue, for the last two months. Initially, during late April this year i woke up from my sleep with palpations and a racing heart in the morning. After that day onwards i began to experience early awakenings from my sleep around 3 am and sometimes during 4 which went on for a couple of days. As it happened , i found it impossible to get back to sleep again. By this time i also began to experience headaches on a daily basis which specifically occurred at the lower left side of my head and it felt like a focal headache which would sometimes radiate to the left side above my left ear. During the month of may besides having just few hours of sleep, i was starting to wake up from it feeling quite exhausted and not refreshed at all. The headaches began to occur less frequently. By this time i started to have night sweats as well, which went on till the 1st week of June with my poor quality sleep. As of now my sleep quality is literally non existent when i go to bed. I toss and turn during the night struggling to sleep and even if i close my eyes and possibly achieve a light sleep, it feels like I've been conscious the whole time till dawn. In the morning however i am able to get a slight REM sleep which isn't much. I am starting to have some balance issues by now and i feel burning flashes on my skin and a slight memory problem. Occasionally for maybe just two days or so in a week i do get normal or near normal sleep after which i feel somewhat refreshed , just to be hit by the sleeplessness again. I am also having constipation during the beginning of this problem. Right now i am utterly exhausted and scared as it led me to obsessively search the conditions which are FFI and sFi. The reason of me being obsessed with these is because ive come to believe that this is how the road might spiral down for me. Getting any medical attention is not possible for me right now due to the pandemic as most of the medical centres are busy dealing with covid cases. I need to wait for 3 more months until i get back to the city for checkup. As of now i feel fairly mentally lucid to write this post as it will help me to share and get a little bit of relief. Any replies or thoughts ll be highly appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Hi,

first of all, and I don't mean to be rude, there is a FFI/SFI warning on the top of the page that people are still ignoring for some reason. Not to waste time - you do not have it.

As for what you are going through - I'm sorry to hear that. You are in good company though, people here know what you're going through. It's a rough deal, but try to think of it like this - by the time your regular check-up comes in 3 months, your insomnia will probably go away as suddenly as it appeared. This forum, and others like it, are the best proof for that. Insomnia for many comes and goes, resolves itself after a few months, and they are never seen here again, which is good. That is how I feel yours will resolve, and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The fact that you are able to get some sleep is reassuring, and as you probably know people usually get more sleep than they think. Those would be your "light sleep" phases.

Try to live your life normally as much as you can, don't obsess about it (as hard as it is when you're tired) and just believe everything will be fine. If it doesn't, you can always ask your doctor for help once this corona thing passes. First he/she will slap you on the face for suggesting FFI (just kidding), then they will give you something short term to get your sleep rhythm in balance.

Good luck, hang in there.

• Edited

Thank you for your kind reply sir! As of now from the past two days, my sleep has slightly improved which makes me feel as not as miserable i was a couple days ago when i posted my situation here. I am not trying to give up yet and I've recently started to follow a sleep time, which i believe might help me in my struggle. I also pray for a while before trying to sleep during the night as it helps me to feel a bit lighter. I am trying to be hopeful that i ll be able to see a considerable improvement in my overall sleep and health.

• Edited

Try drinking a glass of hot adult formula milk 1 hour before sleep. It might help. If you could drink 2 glasses a day but space it out or you end up going to the toilet middle of the night.

Google how digital devices have blue light which disrupt sleep. Try install apps like twilight to switch your phone to block blue light and see if it helps. You could also try not to look at digital devices 1 to 2 hours before bed. It does disrupt your sleep.

Soak your feet in a small basin before bed in slightly hot water. It helps too.0

• Edited

Thank you for your suggestion! As of now I'm trying to follow a sleep schedule every night for the past two days. I also believe that exposure to digital electronic devices has a big impact on overall sleep. I ll continue to try as many things which are possible for me to help my situation and hopefully i ll see an improvement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.