Worsening symptoms

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi ive had about 8 attacks in the last 2 months. First one was an a&e attendance due to low blood pressure and severe pain but they have been mainly well controlled (attacks varying between 1-4 hours) until 4 days ago where i had a sudden onset. although i had low bp, stayed at home trying to increase fluids and used hot water bottle to help relieve pain. My painkillers didnt seem to be as effective as before and the pain continued for another night where i was very nauseous nd spent most of the night either trying to be sick or flooring on the floor trying to find a comfortable position. I attended the Gp on the 3rd day who prescribed a stronger pain relief but i havent found it anymore effective and have actually been unable to keep anything down. Im still sitting in pain on day 4 and producing dark urine. Im considering attending a&e again but dont want to be a pain nor do i want to hang around for several hours in pain to just be sent home. Im wondering has anyone else had a similar experience or advice on what do to?

many thanks

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Forgot to mention ive had an Ultrasound which has confirmed multiple small stones but i don't know how many or what size. Im only 23.
  • Posted

Hi , 

i was pretty similar , with some jaundice

I really think you should go to a & e . The stones can block ducts and there can be infections .  I left it far too long thinking it was just an attack and it would pass ...it didn't and I was in hospital initially for 11 days . 

I'm not suggesting that you will be the same , but you should not be in such pain for so long , so please get it checked out as soon as possible . I also think that if you are going to have to go to hospital, then  from my experiance , you are better going in the week and not at the weekend . 

Don't take the chance . Hope you are okay and out of pain soon , keep in touch .

• Posted

Hi

I had my gallbladder out last week and suffered for 6 months before hand much like you - I feel your pain and send my sympathies.

The dark urine is an area of concern as that could signal pancreatitis which you don't mess around with - on that basis, if the pain gets bad I wouldn't chance it and I would get yourself to A&E or at least ring 111 out of hours medical helpline - they could probably put you through to a doctor.

Good luck.  Let us knowhow you go.

• Posted

Sorry , I also meant to say I had to go to a&be three times and each time I was seen straight away and I didn't feel like I was a nuisance. 

They do accept that it is a very very painful condition , in fact each time I was put on IV morphine and iv paracetamol which finally got rid of the pain . 

Some complications from gall bladders can be extremely serious , so please get help . Constant , agonising pain is not right ! 

• Posted

I'd say the dark urine and excessive repeated pain sounds more like Choledocholithiasis, you've possibly got a stone stuck in your common bile duct ... Hate to say it but I'd A & E this one and not leave until they've removed your GB and the stone , wherever it is .... Good luck
  • Posted

I agree with the others. Get it checked, it is painful and also can be serious. I was like you, sporadic attacks until a big one that put me in hospital for nine days. Seriously consider gallbladder removal and get on the waiting list because it's a LONG wait. 18 weeks ago today I had my diagnosis and was asked if I wanted to be put on the list. I'm told I'm looking at least June before I get operated on now.
    • Posted

You'll have been waiting almost a year for a relatively straightforward surgery! That is a complete nightmare - I hope they bring it forward for you soon.
    • Posted

Thank you. So do I but I was told yesterday that most elective surgery was cancelled in January and 4 surgeons capable of doing my op have had their lists cancelled for the past two weeks with no sign of change for next week either. There are no beds in the hospital at all. The NHS is at breaking point.
  • Posted

I had about the same number of attacks, about 8 in two months, and also found that the pain medication was becoming less effective (I kept slightly increasing the dosage, as well as starting it earlier, not waiting until the pain was unbearable). I asked to be put on a wait list to be called on short notice for the surgery, and luckily that happened just as I was really starting to feel low relief from the meds. Everything has been great since the surgery. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi maybe you have already gone to A & E, but agree with others it is a good idea if symptoms appear to be worsening, although I do understand your reluctance. My consultant said if ever I got symptoms like yours, to go to A & E. I have been twice in fact due to fever and chills with attacks, but got stabilised and then sent home both times. But still better to be safe than sorry as they will at least check that there is no serious infection or blockage situation going on. Take care and good luck.
  • Posted

Go to A&E Hun, I was admitted in November,and I had same symptoms and found I had stones stuck in my bile duct, was in agony. I had an ultrasound, MRI and MRCP (to remove the stuck stones) Make nuisance of yourself I found that was the only way I could get sorted.

Once the stones were removed I felt much better but not 100%.

I had my gallbladder removed a week ago by keyhole, they tell me I had massive stones!

I did end up going private to have the operation but this is because my husband has private healthcare via work, unfortunately I was told could be waiting months for the operation on the NHS!

Keep pushing that's the only way to get things done!

Keep us updated X

• Posted

Hi this is only how I cope with the pain , it may not work for everyone.its my opinion only

I cope with pain  by making lemon and honey water .I boil the kettle and cut a lemon up i pour boiled water and 2 tablesppons of honey  into a jug add cut lemons.

I then leave it for as long as possiable overnight if poss.

I drink this instead of tea and it seems to help.I read on the internet that its the peptin( cant spell it) in lemons that help.

As I said I dont know if it will help everyone but this is only  my opinion . I tried apple cider and oned ay it worked and then on the second day I  got very bad pain , so im still unsure and yes Im still waiting nearly 6 years later for an operation. 

• Posted

My heart goes out to you.   I had some really awful episodes with my gallbladder.  Unless you can afford private health care, I think for the time being you are going to have to be incredibly careful with your diet - no fat whatsoever, not even the tiniest bit.  With all the junior doctors on strike etc., it may be a while before you're seen, so like everyone is saying, this is definitely an A&E job.  Wishing you well.
  • Posted

Hi all,

So i went to a&e this afternoon and got seen really quickly, even with the strike. So it seems my liver function levels and white cell counts were elevated but not enough to warrent antibiotics. They did say they could admit me for pain relief but little else as it was likely the gallbladder is inflamed and unlikely to be operated on until that had settled. Theyve just advised to maintain my pain relief at home where id be more comfortable and to return to work when ready. Luckily my supervisors are very supportive.

Im due to see the surgeon in 3 weeks so the inflammation should have settled, until then its a no fat diet for me! Managed some boiled egg and toast this evening and fingers crossed its stayed down!

• Posted

Good for you for going in and I'm glad you got seen. Hopefully you can avoid any attacks for a while.

I'd keep clear of the egg though - theres about 5g of fat in the yolk.

They were like a hand grenade for my GB when I was trying to manage my symptoms.

Good luck in the run up of the op.

Its a week since I had the op and today I enjoyed some 'normal' food without fear today - which felt great.

• Posted

Yes you are right about eggs. According to the diet sheet I was given I could eat eggs but when I went to see my GP he said eggs should be no no because they are 9% fat. It's good fat but I was told no fat is good fat when on the gallstone diet
    • Posted

For protein just stick to skinless chicken or steamed salmon or any fish - no problems whatsoever
    • Posted

yes its great that you went to the hospital as i was wondering how you were getting on. the funny thing is i eat eggs a lot and never have any problems and i told my doctor and she said i should go easy on eggs. but i suppose we are all different and have no trouble at all with eggs. how did you get on with the eggs you had. also about the lemon in hot water that is good as its acidic. just the same as vinegar. and i sometimes i do have to take a omperazole as the vinegar doesnt seem to take my nausea away but the omperazole seem to help.. but i take very few of them.i hope it all settles in 3 weeks by the time you see your surgeon good luck keys. 🌺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.