Worsening tachycardia + other symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with inappropriate sinus tachycardia about 5 years ago - I'm a 25 year old female. Since this time and until recently I've been on bisoprolol 2.5mg and had no side effects. Recently, I'm trialling an increase to 3.75mg as I've noticed that my constant fast heart rate wasn't being kept at bay any more. If I don't take my medication my pulse is around 120, and I feel very anxious and 'wound up'.

Since around the age I was diagnosed I've also had IBS, but over the last year I've experienced other health problems and was wondering if anyone else with tachycardia experiences these symptoms or other comorbidites? I've been having problems with energy, some days feeling really drained even if I've slept well, with my muscles feeling heavy like flu. Indeed, I've been picking up colds and flu a lot (I've had recent blood tests for nutrition/hormones, and all look ok). I seem to have poor exercise tolerance - initially feeling good straight after a run/long walk but then feeling exhausted later on, with very achey muscles subsequent days. I've also had bladder problems and recently been 'diagnosed' with overactive bladder.

I used to study chronic pain syndromes (academic by background) and learned that people with CFS/ME often have overlapping conditions such as IBS, dry eyes, interstitial cystitis etc., and I can't help but notice the similarity with myself. Is there a chance I'm slowly developing chronic fatigue? I'm concerned and worried. Through my research I've discovered that it's common for people with CFS/ME to also have PoTS, but does it ever happen the other way round - someone to have a tachycardia condition and this develop into chronic fatigue?

I'm new here so it would be lovely to meet some people with similar conditions/symptoms/experiences - I know no-one else with my condition or anything similar. Thanks if you read this far.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry you are suffering with these problems. I have the opposite problem, slow heart rate. But , have had fast in the past. Miserable. I don't think I can help you. Except to say, maybe you should see a rheumatologist.He may be able to diagnose that you have chronic fatigue . I really hope you don't. I hope someone comes along who can help you more. God bless, I will always be here to care and listen. You sound like you know what to look for. Good luck honey. Mabel

• Posted

Hi Mabel, thanks for getting back to me. I hope your slow heart rate doesn't trouble you too much. I'll keep an eye on symptoms and if they get worse contact my doctor. Best wishes

• Posted

I developed some of your problems such as the chronic fatigue, I got mine from the day I took Bisoprolol and even though I have been off these beta blockers for a year now, my symptoms have remained as my Autonomic Nervous System seems to have been permanently put off balance by Bisopolol.

I wonder if its doing the same to you?

Lots of other people here saying Bisoprolol makes them feel like "Zombies"

I would also be aware that your body gets used to Bisoprolol and you will find your heart rate would really get high if you ever wanted to come off, people take months to try and wean themselves off. 

• Posted

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply and sorry for taking a while to get back to you. You raise an interesting point and it's worth considering, however I was on bisoprolol for years previously with no problem and been on a very low dose until recently. If I forget my medication even for one day I feel worse - or if I do things like have more than one coffee, drink alcohol or eat too much, so on balance I think it's likely to be related to my tachycardia itself rather than the medication or withdrawal. I'd love to go off the medication one day but it certainly wouldn't be possible at the moment. Do you know how people have been able to wean themselves off slowly and safely?

• Posted

If you read some of the other forums here, I think there is one specifically for Bisoprolol, you will find people going into detail how they wean themselves off over the course of many months by cutting away a tiny part of their tablet, progressively larger. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.