Worsening Vision and Trouble Focusing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I'm a 24 yo male, I have a history of nearsightedness, contacts have been -2 and -1.5 forever. About four months ago I noticed my eye sight was weird while wearing my contacts, almost like my eyes couldn't focus on the same thing, with my glasses there was no problem. I started getting terrible headaches and went to my optometrist who changed my contact prescription, just thinking it was a little worse. After a couple weeks, my eye sight was changing even while wearing my glasses and my headaches got so bad I had to go to the ER where they did a CT (normal) and referred me to a neurologist. I had a full eye exam which was normal as well as a visual field test and pictures taken of my optic nerve, all normal. MRI results are normal and I really don't know what else to do. Should I get a second opinion from another eye doctor? At this point my eye doctor just thinks it is strain and has prescribed me reading glasses which don't work unless I hold a page right up to my face. I feel as though my headaches have subsided but my vision is still messed up. It feels like my eyes just can't focus on the same thing. Even when closing one eye it doesn't really help the focusing of the eye. I'm really at my wits end and super anxious all the time. Any help is appreciated!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, you mentioned being shortsighted, do you have any astigmatism at all?
    • Posted

Not that I am aware of. Would an eye doctor have noticed that during an exam?
    • Posted

Yes. In my experience, an optometrist is even more proficient in determining your diopters. I have contacts for astigmatism and if my eyes are dry then the contacts stick to the eyes and can't rotate to the correct position. With my glasses I can see fine.

Another thing. Some time back I had to take a small daily dose of Amitriptyline for nerve pain. After a few weeks on this medication I had problems focussing on nearby objects. If you are on any meds then check for possible side effects.

• Posted

If you have astigmatism you will have cylindrical powers and an angle for each eye on your prescription.
    • Posted

No, I have not been diagnosed with astigmatism
    • Posted

I was also prescribed amitriptyline but have been off of the medicine for about a month

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.