Worst anxiety, agitation, irritable, fluoxetine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Not getting any better on fluoxetine, I have missed a few doses and not been taking them at regular times, started on 10mg first two weeks then 20mg following two weeks, feel worse, started on October 4th, phone doctor, not my usual doctor and he wants me to change citalopram. Should I give fluoxetine more time or should I not be suffering this bad.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

These meds can take months to work, so its still early days for you.  Indeed you need to give them much more time.

The first few weeks or months are the worst.  Its your body adjusting to the meds.  It really isn't good to miss doses because that'll make you feel worse.  The dose needs to be consistent.

Recovery can take 6-9 months with the meds starting to kick in around 3-4 months.  Please don't worry about that timescale though as everyone is different .... the wait is worth it though.

Don't change meds.  You need to stick with one for a long time.  You cannot hurry recovery as these type of meds work really slowly.  If you change meds you'll have withdrawal from one and side effects from another.  Citalopram works exactly the same so you'll still have to wait for them to work.

Lots of people chase recovery instead of letting it come to them.  The hop from dose to dose and then meds to meds wanting to feel better now.  You can't and you'll just end up feeling worse than ever.  

Sadly you need patience which will pay off in the end.  These type of meds do not work like antibiotics or painkillers where you'd feel better in a week or two.  

Hang on in there, chat on this forum as there's lots of help and encouragement from people who are on the same journey or have come through it.

But please don't miss your doses.  It'll make you worse.

K xx

• Posted

Forgot to say - each time you increase your dose you will have side effects again.

K x

• Posted

Its early days , don't mess with your dose though hun! It won't help xx

• Posted

Hello. Sorry to hear about your struggles with fluoxetine! If I can offer you some advice though.. 

I first tried citalopram before fluoxetine. I was on 10mg for 1 week & had to go off because of AWFUL anxiety, sadness, and debilitating migraines. I couldn't pull myself off the couch. I switched to fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks before asking to go up to 20mg. Now, I'm not sure why you take fluoxetine but I had to add lamictal to my cocktail. Please consider either waiting it out longer or upping your dosage. I had to go up to 60mg at one point but was able to stabilize at 40mg. I wanted to quit fluoxetine at one point, but I am so glad that I didn't. It has truly changed my life. I had crippling anxiety and sadness that killed my quality of life. I experienced side effects (I had 6 kanker sores) which was one of the rarest side effects & headaches. I also had some increased sadness. However, I would do it all again if I had too. Compared to other antidepressants, fluoxetine is one of the more easy tolerated drugs. Missing and not sticking to a set dosing schedule could also be impacting the medication from working as it should. My prayers go out for you. 

• Posted

Hi, thanks, when I phoned the doctor I had one of the worst days, yesterday was a better day, my mood is unpredictable, last few days I have been sticking by a schedule of medication, when you made the switch from citalopram to fluoxetine did you start the next day or did you wean off citalopram have a gap? So you said you also had bad side effects at the beginning with fluoxetine.
    • Posted

Sorry for the late response! My lab gave birth two puppies and I have been studying for a microbiology exam! Can you say stress?! 

I was only on 10mg of citalopram for roughly a week, I believe I began taking fluoxetine directly after.. I started taking antidepressants when I was 17 so it's been awhile! (:

The symptoms you have been describing all sound pretty signature with AD's. It really depends if you can handle how severe the side effects are. With citalopram, I couldn't handle them. I wanted to stop taking AD's all together after just a week on it. However, I am thoroughly happy that I decided to try fluoxetine. Yes, I had some side effects but they began to wear off after about 4-5 weeks. With lamictal, I had some side effects but it was mainly increased irritability with each increase. You have to start and up your dose SUPER SLOW with lamictal! I hope things get better for you (: 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.