Worst ever experience with the copper IUD - removed after 3 days. May have an infection??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Sorry for the super long post but i"m hoping someone can help me!

I am 23 years old, never been pregnant. I decided to go with the copper IUD as a form of contraception due to the fact that it is non - hormonal. I had been off the pill for about 6 months and was glad I didn't have any more hormones inside me anymore! 

Anyway, about 3 days ago I had the copper IUD inserted by a nurse. It was quite painful ( I had totally forgotten to take pain medication before which was silly). I went home and about 3 hours later I had extreme pain in my stomach area. It was a mixture of INTENSE cramps and sharp pains. I was taking about 7×400 mg of Ibuprofen a day to deal with the pain. I know that's a hell of a lot but I was in so much pain that I could hardly walk. I stayed curled up in a fetal position almost constantly. I couldn't walk without being hunched over and the one morning I woke up with so much pain that I had to crawl to the kitchen to get pain medication.

What I found quite strange was that I totally lost my appetite. I didn't feel like eating at all . My stomach was so bloated and i hardly ate a single thing!

Now i know that a lot of women experience pain shortly after IUD insertion. But mine truly was extreme. It felt like someone had operated on my stomach. I couldn't touch it or apply any pressure as it was so incredibly sore.

Today, I went back to the clinic to have it removed.  It felt like my body was rejecting it, and i just couldn't keep popping pain meds like smarties! The nurse saw that the IUD was in the correct position and she eventually managed to removed it after much digging around inside me! She agreed that since it was giving me such immense discomfort, that I should have it removed.

It is now 6 or so hours after removal and my stomach is very sore! The pains are not so much cramp like and I don't have sharp pains like before, but its is still very tender and I have to always  be in a fetal position. It still felt like I had been operated on or something! I'm still taking quite a lot of  Ibuprofen to deal with the pain.  I'm just worried that I may have some sort of infection? Hopefully the pain will subside soon. It was such a relief to get this copper thing out of my body and I thought I'd be perfect after removal but now i'm wondering that I may have some sort of an infection.  Maybe I should give it a few days?

Has any one else experienced this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would get  looked at, i thought they only gave the coil to women who have had children they may of caught you inside when inserting it or takeing it out causing an infection you may need antibiotics.
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice! The pain has now totally subsided thank goodness. I think my poor uterus just needed a little time to repair itself..very happy to have it removed. And yes I think the iud is a lot more suited to women who have been pregnant before
  • Posted

Hey i had the copper iud in for 3 months as an emergency contracepton it caused me nothing but pain constant bleeding mood swings constant bacterial vaginosis which would smell so bad i could actually feel it if i jumped sex anything it caused discomfort anyway ive had mine taken out today and im in absolute agony im only comfy fetal position but i seem to have the shakes bad cramps and temperature and feel hot is this normal does anybody know??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.