Worst night ever

Posted , 4 users are following.

I took 25mg of amitriptyline for the first time last night for hip pain I explained to my doctor I suffered with restless legs ,she said it should be fine ,it wasn't I was up all night with the worst restless legs I've ever had I stayed up all night was literally in tears I'm still feeling the pain now ,I decided not to take anymore has anyone else had this symptom

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Mary, you are right to stop Amitriptyline if it does not suit you but for restless legs try taking Magnesium Malate or Chelated Magnesium (you can find both on Amazon from reputable UK supplement companies). I take 600mg a day in tablet form and without it or even if I forget one dose out of 3 of 200mg, oh boy do I know it! Also, these forms of magnesium rarely cause diarrohea as some other others can....like citrate or glycinate. Hope you find this helpful, I could not get a night's sleep without them. They also help with Cramps, especially night ones which are so very painful. Magnesium Oil spray is good for immediate relief, just massaged quickly into the muscle. It doesn't last for very long but for night emergencies is always good to have at hand.

I hope by not taking any more Amitriptyline you won't have RLS but if you do, try what I have suggested.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I do take magnesium tablets but only a really low dose so I will try the ones you suggested ,I also have the spray but didn't find that very helpful,thank God I didn't carry on taking them ,I asked my doctor about side effects and about my restless legs Because I've just finally got myself off tramadol after 7 years so was concerned about taking anything else ,was told no your be fine ,feel a bit let down to be honest ,thank you for your advice

• Posted

Thank you for your advice I did some homework and ended up ordering chelated magnesium as the reviews seemed excellent for restless legs it arrives Oct 3rd ,I'm so excited really really hope it works for me , keeping my fingers crossed ,as for the amitriptyline they went down the toilet this morning .....once again thank you to all who replied x

• Posted

Fingers and toes crossed for you Mary, hope they work as well for you as they do for me. Yes, chelated magnesium is the very best of the best. I found I have to take a minimum of 600mg a day and have settled on that. Some are ok with 400mg and others 800mg. We are all so different so have fund testing out what your own needs are. Let us know how you go if you have timeĀ cool
    • Posted

Tablets arrived today I've taken 3 lots of 2 so 600mg....legs are still very restless tonight but I know it's very early days ...how long was it before you noticed a difference x

• Posted

I think by the time I had found the right one to take it was 3 weeks or so when I realised that I had slept through a night without any leg jerks or muscle cramps. As all things it has to get into the system and be maintained for 4 to 6 weeks and then I truly hope that you will feel the benefit of the chelated magnesium. If these do not resolve your problem Mary you may need to go back to your GP as restless leg syndrome can be a symptom of other things, as I am sure you already know. Keeping my fingers crossed for you x
    • Posted

Thank you ,I've just had couple hrs nap because I'm working tonight ,my legs are going crazy I seriously feel such rage I could rip someones throat out lol....thanks for replying X

• Posted

Yes I agree with Elizabeth too. Do not take Amitriptyline ever again. I was on it for several years until I heard of the side effects on this forum. Yes I had restless leg syndrome which drove me crazy. It's a nasty drug. Getting off it was a nightmare but thank goodness I got through it. Never again.

• Posted

Thanks for reply glad to hear your off it now ,sounds like I've dodged a bullet by finding this forum lol thanks again

• Posted

The withdrawal was worse than taking the drug. It was a continuation of nightmares. But I did it " cold Turkey" Never again. I think we've all dodged several bullets by using this forum and it's friendship here. Thank the Gods for you all. Hugs to you...G

• Posted

you have to get the in your body it goes off it takes about 5weeks hang in there !!!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.