Worth having test ? Iron Panel Results

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had an iron panel done recently by my GP due to fatigue etc. and the following results came back:

Percentage iron saturation 58.1% (15-45)

Serum Ferritin 281 ug/L (30 -400)

After some reading online apparently it could be indicative of Haemochromatosis ( it stated that ferritin should be over 300ug/L but its close enough at 281 IMO).

Could I ask whether the community thinks it's worth requesting the gene test ?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It is the transferrin saturation % that is the telling marker. It is more than 45%. Also check your MCV on your Blood Count tests (drs usually always do this). If it is higher than 94, it is a good indicator.

A ferritin level of 281 could mean that you are in early stages or are menstruating (that is if you are a woman!)

• Posted

yes, worth having done so as to catch it early! They didn't catch mine until my ferritins were 3175. Been doing phlebotomies every week since may of last year, 4 weeks ago i was down to 189.....my hepatologist wants me at 40-50. My other iron results are excellent now. Hoping to do my last phleb this week and go into maintenance mode. Get it done so you have answers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.