worth taking cit and diazepam?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Having an awful time at school, one set of parents are after my blood. head is useless but wants to give me a disciplinary to keep parents quiet. soooooooo not fiar. this has led to major anxiety and feelings of dread as the case goes on and on and on. finally decided enuf was enuf and went to the doctot. she has pescribed diazepam and citalpram. the cit is just one tablet at night. i am shattered but wake at 2am as if i have had 3 cans of red bull, then shattered by the time i get to school. i slept better without it. i mean, i would wake in the night but I would feel 'wired'. should i bother? i'm not depressed, just a very tense stomach and shaking with the anxiety and awful feeling of dread in my tummy. should i just do the diazepam instead? i have never been on any drugs like this before. i hate the fact it has come to this. it could also end up on my teaching record, especailly when you apply for new jobs as you often have to fill in a medical questionaire, and who would want a teacher who got stressed and had to take drugs in order to cope????? any advice much appreciated xxx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time at work.

I can't give you any advice about Citalopram as I've only just taken my first one this morning.

Diazepam, on the other hand, I've had before (and again now, with the Cit) and found it to be a very relaxing experience, perhaps too much so. The other thing of course is that it is highly addictive and should only be taken when required and for no more than a few days in a row, I think, otherwise you risk becoming dependent on it.

As for how all of this might affect your future work prospects? Well, employment legislation offers quite a bit of protection, although it doesn't stop bad employers from discriminating either (but then again, if that's how they operate you may be better off not working for people like that). I can guarantee you that probably at least 25% of your colleagues (maybe even your head, too!) are already on some kind of medication for depression, anxiety, stress etc., just you don't know about it! It's that commonplace.

Presumably you will be a member of a teachers' trade union? If so they maybe able to offer advice and support. ACAS employee helpline, too. Also, maybe worth checking out Mind.org.uk for information and advice. Check out time-to-change.org.uk for inspiration!

Good luck and look after yourself.

• Posted

ive been on diazapam for years could not cope without them they help my anxity and keep my panack attacts at bay also take 10mg citapram so wat if it gose on record your health is more important and how you are feeling just take things 1 day at a time let me know how u get on
  • Posted

Hi

I have taken cit and diazepan together, I came to the conclusion that my health was much more important to me.

Mentalhealthworker is correct I had no idea so many of my friends were on Antidepressants untill I was open about what was happening to me.

Take care and look after yourself.

Lizzy

• Posted

Dear Fellow Teacher, I know where your'e coming from having a spineless head. Stay with the med - 6mths at least. No one's business but your own. Am sure others in the staff room are taking some med - unfortunately the nature of the job; with little or no support from senior staff. Been in teaching 25 years, wished I'd never entered a classroom. Has turned me into a nervous grumpy old man. At present signed off with stress until Jan 2011 - not for the first time. Feel so ashamed of myself - am on diaz and cit. Cit was my crutch for years. My advice is if med works stay with it. Cit takes at least 3 weeks to kick in. Drop me a line some time as your post was in 2009. I do hope your right as rain by now. mq7.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.