Worth the surgery?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All,

i'm 39, and i've never walked barefoot because i have bunions on both feet, since about 12yrs old. i'm so self conscious. I finally have a job working from home and considering the surgery. Should i do both at the same time? Just one? Will i have to buy all new shoes? What are pro's vs cons? Thank you to anyone who responds smile

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, it's your choice of course but if it's been bothering you for so long, I would imaging that it won't get any better unless you do have surgery. I'm not too sure if they are willing to do the surgery if it is for bunions with no toe correction. Does your big toe push under the second toe at all. Do you have pain under the ball of your foot as well as the bunions rubbing?  Do you have any osteoarthritis in the feet?  I'm only asking these questions because my Surgeon told me that they are reluctant to do the operation unless it's causing you some of these problems that I mentioned.

If you do get it done, purely from my own eperience, I would have them done at seperate times, especially if you have the operation in winter/cold/wet times of the year because finding suitable footwear to wear outdoors was a problam for me.

My surgeon told me that I would never be able to wear shoes with heels again that is high heels. But I don't anyway so that was no bother.

I guess it also depends on your personal circumstance and how much support you have at home. Housework and daily routines are more difficult for the first few months, at least they were for me, but I am much older than you and I also have a disabled daughter to care for too.

I am glad that I had the operation, because I don't have as much pain now. I will get the other foot operated on maybe next year. My surgeon said that in my circumstances my full recovery would be closer to 12 months, but that's probably I tried to get on my feet too early after the operation so I delyed the recovery somewhat.

If you have some support around you , I would say YES, ask for the operation.

Good luck x

• Posted

Thank you for so much advice. I will seek a consult to see what my options are. I don't have the issues you mentioned above, mostly some chronic pain and just embarrassment. 
    • Posted

Hi, I had a bunionectomy with no toe correction last December, I have been in more pain post op and still have a bump on my toe, I'm having further surgery soon for a toe realignment and to fuse my toe.

It has taken a long time to get to the stage where I am now, walking etc, but I am now walking with a limp because of the pain !

• Posted

First off make an apt with a orthopedic surgeon or a podiatrist they will get your history and take xrays to see how bad your bunions are some doctors it's not necessary unless they're causing discomfort and pain and not to do it just for cosmetic reasons it's a long road to recovery you will be dealing with pain and discomfort and swelling most likely for up to one year post op I would not recommend getting both feet done at once because it's harder to get around I had both my feet done two weeks apart which allowed some healing inbetween most likely you will need to buy new shoes your post op feet will not fit into your pre op shoes every bunion is differnt and doctors perform different surgeries for different types of bunions so depending on so depending on if you have in mild or moderate or severe bunion your surgery may be different some people have hammertoe correction. Also at the same time is bunion removal but expect at least 6 to 8 weeks of resting with your feet up and ice under your knees I was told it two weeks I could get back into tennis shoes there is no way on gods green earth that my swollen puffy feet will fit comfortably in tenny but I think after its all said and done it is worth it
  • Posted

That's a tough call.  I had extensive surgery January 30 and I continue to suffer and limp. Because I am a nurse, I am unable to work. My experience isn't common and it was done by a highly recommended ortho surgeon. The surgery I had involved a cast up to my knee for four weeks. I used a knee scooter to get around. Though it was quite effective on the mobility side, I did take a few tumbles by cranking the wheels too far. Consequently, I ended up with a torn meniscus in my opposite knee that has yet to heal. I wasn't able to walk without a cane until mid-June. My problems, I think, may be caused by a surgical tightening of tendons although nobody is saying that. My foot healed pretty well and looks great. My ankle, and everything around it is still giving me a lot of pain. I would not get both done at the same time. For me that would have been undoable. In spite of the problems, I am, believe it or not, slightly considering having my other foot done next year so it can't be all that bad. I will chose another surgeon next time. I hope this helps. Like I said, my experience is an exception.

• Posted

Hi, I think everyone's experience is different. I am the same age as you and suffer from rheumatoid arthritis. It's given me badly deformed feet, which are very painful and very ugly. I have hidden my feet for a long time.

I could only wear trainers, but the consultant said as long as I could still walk, I would have to fight for surgery.

What I realised was it was going to get worse and I was too young to give up on pretty shoes, playing with my kids on a beach, walking without pain...the list goes on.

Fate took over and we have ended up in Dubai and I had the surgery here. However I had made my mind up to push for the op in the UK. My surgeon doesn't do two feet together, for obvious reasons.

The doctor essentially rebuilt my foot which was ruined by RA. It's a tough recovery but I had to give it a go. And as it stands, 12 weeks after, with limited movement and swelling, I know I will continue to improve.

I wish you well in whatever you chose to do x

• Posted

Hi

I had both my feet done in March 2015.

Initially I was going to just have the bunions done as I did not have a problem with my toes, except cosmetically ( my second toe was longer) eventually I decided to have the tors shortened as well. personally will recommend both feet done at the same time as you are housebound for 8weeks anyway so you might as well get it over with once and for all.

I have no regrets at all having had both feet done at the same time. I am four months post op and wearing my normal shoes. My surgeon told me that I can wear 2inch heels for the moment and after the 6 month mark when the bones are healed I can go higher if I wish. Obviously after a op like this you have to be careful and keep the high heals to special occasions and not every day.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Don't be anxious it is not as bad as some make it out. You are young and will heal quickly , I am 58 and I totally recommend it, I have really nice and cute feet now while before I was so ashamed of my ugly feet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.