Would a CT Scan Detect Melanoma?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello All,

I recently have been going through a variety of tests for unrelated things, which included a contrast CT of my neck about a 2 months ago. After this test, I found a small lump at my hairline that is below a mole. I haven't felt it grow, but it is somewhat hard. 

I am not too sure how long this has been there for and likely could be months (likely before CT). I showed it to my family doctor who is sending me for an ultrasound to characterize it and called it a nodule. This appointment is next Friday but am curious, if this lump was there during my CT, and the mole/lump is melanoma related, would the CT scan have noticed that?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

CT scans are usually incapable of showing a lump unless it's about the size of a number 2 pencil eraser.  So, if the lump wasn't very large, I believe it wouldn't have appeared on the scan.  

Best of luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.