Would a knee support help when waiting for tkr

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey

I am looking for some advice. I am 44 and last year l had 2 hip replacements and my left knee replaced. I also need my right replaced but needed a break from surgery and the tkr really hit me hard. I had it done in august. In the last few months l have been getting a terrible pain in my ankle on the same leg l have had both hip and knee replaced. Its so bad now l have been to doctors and he thinks l have ostioarthritis in my ankle now to. I am going for xrays on monday. But l think l have been overcompensating on the knee thats not been done because of the ankle and l am starting ti get bad pains in the knee thats needing done as well as the ankle in opposite leg.

I am trying to hold off as long as possible for next tkr due to work reasons.

Do any off you know if wearing a kneee support would help me? Would it give me any support and extra time until l get it replaced.

Please any advice would be great.

Thanks

Laura

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I wear a good knee support and for me it really helps, I don't wear it during night because I use pillow between knees, do you ice it and carryout PT

• Posted

Hi

You might want to try a knee support for skiing as this would better support your leg as well. You just need to try something to help you. Maybe borrow something from friends.

Good healing

• Posted

Hi Laura

I found that knee support/braces provided no help with my knee osteoarthritis. In the end just didn't bother with it! Was more uncomfortable & didn't stop the pain.

Perhaps it's just me, always was an awkward cuss!!

I hope you find something that helps.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

I have ice pack for my knee which l used after getting my 1st knee done for a while. Have never tht about using it on my other knee as its not been done yet and the pain l am getting in it only happens if l bend it a certain way. I suppose l could try a knee support but lm a bit like you marilyn l can be a fussy buger. Personally l dont think it would help but my husband thinks it might help me out but he is looking at buying them and they are quite expensive. I wish l new someone l could borrow off to try first.

I don't do pt anymore had a few sessions when l came out hospital but they told me l was fine and had great movement back. I did at the time but now its steadily got a bit more sensative and then the pain in my ankle started. The operated knee is ok there is no severe pain or discomfort it just gets sore if l use it a lot but the pain in my ankle is my main problem. And because l am using my leg thats needing the knee replaced to take weight of of ankle its now starting to get pains like my 1st did. It had been fine previously the xrays showed it was not as bad as the other at the time but l would need it done eventually. I was hoping eventually would last another year but now its looking as if its not going to last much longer. Plus ankle surgery looms.

Thanks guys

Laura 😊

• Posted

Its also ostioarthritis l have on every joint. Never had no clue until a month before my first hip op just thought l had pulled a muscle. Now its pretty much took over my life. 😕

• Posted

Oh Laura, I do feel for you! I have osteoarthritis in my unoperated knee,( had in other one!) but have also started having problems with my left ankle. The leg I'm hoping 🤞to go back on the waiting list for TKR no2!

I feel a bit humbled, so many people here are suffering so many problems, but are doing so well. I would like to say a huge GOOD ON YOU to everyone on this forum. For getting on with recovery, rehab, mucho exercises & life.

You are all stars!

Thank you for all the good advice, kindly words & wisdom.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi Marilyn

I am hoping its just pain coming from my knee replacement but its not going away just getting worse. Thats what made me think this is not just my knee l have a feeling its OA in my ankle and the doctor was pretty convinced it was to. Have to wait a week to find out. I still work 3 days a week but its getting so hard to even do that.

To think 2 years ago l was a normal active person. Used to love walking now l can hardly walk round a supermarket. My body also need so much sleep now although l wake every 4hrs because l am in pain. .

I feel sorry for my husband as he has to cope with me how l am now. We have not been a holiday in 2 years l can barely do anything without looking miserable. I think my knew hips are great but my knee has been really hard to recover from . No matter what l can do l always feel it. But l just try to keep thinking there is worse people than me although sometimes l get really down and feel useless and a burden.

But these things happen to so many of us and l realised that when l joined this forum and the hip one.....l am not alone. We are not alone.. so many of us from young to old have these issues. Its just learning to live with it can be really hard.

Thanks hun

Take care

Laura xx

• Posted

Hi Laura

Oh love, please don't ever think you're a burden. I do know how that feels, I felt like that after the TKR. I remember crying to myself & my husband catching me & I blurted it all out. He said don't ever think that, this is a bad op & you'll get better. Which I did, I know my problems are not like yours but try to believe that your doctor WILL find out what's wrong & hopefully at least give you treatment to give you back quality of life. Just to be out of pain!

I used to play badminton & did a lot of aerobics, step & running! I know I can't now, 1 metal knee, 1 bad knee. Gave away my badminton racquet a few years back... sad. When the family play with the garden set I have either watch (hand twitching!!) or I have tried to play but standing in 1 place!! Funny to watch but painful still! I just can't help myself I want to play!!

No one tells us how bloody hard it is to recover from TKR! The op itself takes it all out of you let alone the exercises afterwards! It's a long, long hard road we tread! But we've all gotta believe we WILL get there, eventually, in our own time but we will get there.

When you're feeling blue, get on here even if it's just to vent!! There's always someone who will reply, probably someone who's having the same problems. It's just good to hear that someone else is in the same boat. Between you, you can figure out some answers.

Have you heard from PIP yet? I don't see any reason why you wouldn't get it. Just a little more money coming in can mean such a lot. You need to run a car just to get out of the house! Expensive!!

Look after yourself & don't work too hard.

Take care

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thanks so much for your kind words. I called about my pip but it looks like l have to go through the full process again of filling out the huge form and then going for an assesment. Why they just cant take the word from my gp l will never know. I missed the higher rate by 2 points last time. Now l have been diagnosed it in my ankle and need the operation that should be enough for them to know l need a car. I need tge higher rate to get the car. But l will just have to go through it all again. I was only accessed a month ago. But they want forms done and a possible assesment again.

Been at work past 2 days and am so tired got one more day to do but it kills me but l need the money and some sainity. I am only 44 l dont want to give up yet. I have worked from the age of 16 and l like being busy. Just my body wont allow it at the moment.

I feel you marilyn you miss your badmington l miss my life.

I have 2 new hips and gonna have 2 knees and an ankle op all in 2 years.

You totally understand how l feel.

Stay strong hun.

I had a year frim hell last year not only did l go through that l nearly lost my mum to cancer and my husband ended up in hospital with a brain virus l thought l was gonna crack but l held it together. Now my mums beat cancer and my husband is fine. It was a testing time. I think this year l have just realised what l have went through myself and am still going through. But l will fight on. Not ready ti give up yet.

Thank you again. Cant wait for some warm weather. Here in scotland its so cold.

Love

Laura

Xxx

• Posted

Hi Laura

What an absolute faff! What a joke, you'd think that as your medical condition is getting worse they could go from that point instead of having to start right back at the beginning! Still keep with it, you'll get there eventually. Shame you miss the higher amount by such a small margin. Good luck with it all. Hope you'll get it & it will be backdated! You may be able to give up work if you'd like. I wish you all the best with it.

So sorry to hear of all your troubles, oh sweetheart you really have been through the ringer! They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I hope it does.

Makes my moans seem trivial! Makes me realise we should all count our blessings.

You look after yourself. Keep going one foot after the other.

Take care

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.