Would a stiff and clicking neck be a side effect from Amlodipine?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been taking Amlodipine 10mg for about 3 months and I have had a very painful neck which cracks when I move it from side to side, could this be a side effect from these tablets? I also take 50mg of another tablet for high blood pressure called Losatan. It's driving me mad and is very painful.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Muscle and joint pain are classified as rare side-effects with Amplodipine so you might be one of the rare cases, so see GP. Amplodipine and Losatan can be taken together but the side-effects are will depend on the individuals reaction as with any drug.

Have to say that I was once on Amplodipine but gave up soon due to to severe ankle swelling.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! I was searching for Amlodipine side effects and came across this site and started reading some of the notes......scarey! I've bought myself some Omega 3 so hopefully that might help with the blood pressure, but it's this really painful neck which I seem to have since taking these tablets. I had Losartan and salures before which gave me gout in my toe, so now I have Amlodipine and a really bad neck...arrrgh!!
  • Posted

Stiff and painfull neck is what i had on amlodipine as well as arms and legs. I went to the doctor about my neck and was told its wear and tear in the C Spine. But now i am off amlodipine the neck problem seems to of started to get a lot better. idon t knowcoincidence? Who knows.
  • Posted

I have decided that I am no longer taking these tablets and I am contacting my Dr today!! Thanks for the information.
  • Posted

have just come off amlodipine today , lightheadedness muscle/joint pain feeling of no energy all i want to do is sleep havent driven car for few days dont feel safe , i do have physio due to neck muscle pains which are servere and spread down into my chest muscle, was really frighten as i had had a heart attack last sept all i want is to feel normal which hopefully once this drug is out of my system i will do
  • Posted

hi mary, if its amlodipine that's causing you problems it will take about a week you will start to see a real difference, tell your doctor you have come off them and why. all the best.... len 7
  • Posted

I have been off amlodipine for nearly 2 weeks, the neck pain is slightly better but it still cracks when I turn my head. My blood pressure is also slightly raised from 145/90 to 145/94 but my Dr says this is ok?? Im still on Losartan 100mg.
  • Posted

hi, borzoi your bp is not too high the 90 is a bit high , I don,t know how old you are but have you thought that it might be c spine spondulosis it sounds like it could be. its like weare and tear of your c spine that can give that kind of symptoms and its depending on what kind of job you have been doing as well. you could see a physio who may send you for a c spine xray just to check it out it seems to be bothering you at the moment so check it out, the thing with spondulosis is it flares up and lasts a while then it will ease then it will come back and so on. see your doctor for a referral or some hospitals have a walk in clinic.
  • Posted

Hi Len7, I am 48 and I have had HB since I was 30. My neck is not getting better so now I am thinking its not the tablets and I booked in to see a Physio next week. May be the tablets were ok for me but reading other comments they do not sound very safe to take. Thank you for your comments Len7.
  • Posted

hi Bor-zoiits a very positive step to see the physio you have to rule out neck problems, if its not that you know its fairly likely to be the medication. let me know how you got on, all the best.
  • Posted

Hi, I had similar severe symptoms when taking Losartan (another BP lowering drug) but have had it much less so since changing to Amlodipine. It has also lessened more over time to the point where I do not now have "clicking" and pain when turning my head but can have shoulder/neck discomfort if I lie in the same position for a while. Dozing in a chair is not an option!

Other side effects (cramps, muscle and joint pain) have also lessened. One of the worst early problems was rhinitis. My nose was caked by morning and breathing was laboured. This has now completely gone, as have the attendent dense headaches. I experimented with the timing of taking the medication and found that by cutting the tablet in half and taking one piece in the morning and the other at night the effect is the same (my BP remains stable and lowered) but the problems have largely diminished. Don't be surprised if you seem forgetful, as it is one of the more unsettling side effects. Don't let it worry you though, as this makes the problem worse. Best wishes.

• Posted

I had a similar reaction to Amlodipine just a few days after beginning the medication. First my neck felt like it was out and I had a debilitating headache. Then nausea, vomiting and leg cramping. Needless to say no more. I'm still dealing with nausea and leg pain. 
  • Posted

Hi, I have been on Amlodipine for a few years now and have recently had really painful neck and problems with cracks( side to side ) also joint pain at night.

I believe that I am having a reaction to Amlodipine. I dont know if anything has changed in the manufacturing process but its certainly causing problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.