Would a transvaginal ultrasound hurt on a virgin??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I have just had an appointment with my doctor about abdominal and pelvic pain. She then referred a ultrasound for me (without telling me what problem I may have!) and when I saw my ultrasound appointment I found it is "Ultrasound Pelvis transabdominal and transvaginal", which really scared me!! I'm a virgin and have never put anything thicker and a regular tampon into my vagina!! Can I refuse to do the transvaginal ultrasound and only have the TA one??? If I can't would it hurt or cause pain?? Thank you!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello! I can tell you from personal experience that virgins can have transvaginal ultrasounds. I've had two: the first hurt but I had appendicitis and everything in that area was inflamed. The second was much easier and painless. Let the technician know your situation or even just tell her you're nervous because you're vagina is narrow and she'll understand. Usually they'll let you guide it in yourself and help if needed. Remember to breathe deeply to relax yourself, try and draw your breath down into your pelvis which helps relax those muscles and open your vagina (Google pelvic breathing exercises). If you're too uncomfortable, be sure to tell the technician and she'll stop. I was a virgin for my ultrasounds too and have pelvic floor disorder (pelvic muscles/vagina are too tight) and was fine so I think you will be too. Good luck!☺

• Posted

Thank you so much!

I have just had my ultrasound yesterday and everything was good. The technicians told me that my doctor has only referred me for pelvis ultrasound but not a transvaginal one. Maybe there was something wrong with the appointment system! Thank you for your reply and wish you health! 😃

• Edited

For girls with the same question as me: the technician I met yesterday told me that they don't do transvaginal ultrasound on virgins. Maybe different care centers vary and just ask them about this!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.