Would GBS have affected my healing ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I'm 13 weeks post op after Rectocele repair ( 2nd time ) and perinioplasty .

I had 8 weeks of Antibiotibs on and off because whatever I did my perineum just would not heal . It has now healed but not as it should have done .

I've had the flu for ten days and assumed the soreness again was down to coughing and doing more . However I've just found out that the urine sample they took before I was discharged home was positive for the infection GBS . The treatment was a course of one of 3 antibiotics .....none of which was the antibiotic I kept taking .

I feel really cheated as no one informed told me I had this infection and had I known and received the correct Antibiotibs I may not have had the awful 8 weeks and poor healing that I had . I'm still sore and tingly today so am going to send another swab and urine sample to see if the infection is still there .

Has anyone had GBS and if so could it be what caused my delayed healing ?

Also any tips on managing my pelvic floor with a dreadful cough ? I've had it from about 11 weeks and am hoping the internal stiching is strong enough to stand up to it , but on occasion I've had that coughing bout that literally makes you sick and god knows if I've damaged my repair .

Sorry it's so long I'm just a bit very up if the whole thing .

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello sandy. GBS in the UK stands for a number of things. Can you confirm which one you mean please?
    • Posted

So sorry .

Group B Strep ... And thank you .

• Posted

I'm not surprised you feel cheated, I would as well because you should have been informed. It appears as though there's been a serious breakdown in communication. There are 2 types of strep B one of which can cause chest/lung infections and you've mentioned your cough. Have you seen a doctor about it sandy? 

Most strep B is found in the vagina and as far as I know could delay healing.

• Posted

Hi

It's beta haem strep .

I'm hoping the cough I'm is just a virus as the children had it also and seems to be subsiding.

It's very loose .

I have the nurse calling me back shortly so hopefully she won't mind me dropping off another swab and urime sample .

I had 3 courses of that awful Flagyl for nothing !

• Posted

Oh sandy Flagyl is not very nice as well. I think you are entitled to a few answers as to why there was the delay in contacting you. Take care
  • Posted

Should have explained the reason for my question. Is it Guillain-Barre Syndrome or Streptococcus B infection amongst other things?
  • Posted

Hi Sandyx, hope you get this sorted and you get some relief and answers. I am Interested in your comment 2nd rectocelle? as I am sure other fellow 1st timers like me would be. Did it fail? How long after your op? Did they say why? sorry for all questions too but I want to avoid this op again at all costs. Sending you healing hugs
    • Posted

Hello Tilley and thanks for your post .

Please let me reassure you . I had mine first done when I was about 25 and had 2 small children . They are now 23 and 19 . We went on to have two more children ( huge gap I know ) and they are now 12 and 5 .

I should have really been sure I had finished my family because I had another two dreadful deliveries requiring intervention . My first surgery was very successful and I was younger and healed well .

For me personally if I'd finished my family in sure it would have stayed strong . I can't believe I put it off so long this time and honestly even with complications is never regret having surgery . X

• Posted

Have little to offer on help but just wanted to say so sorry you have been mucked around so badly. I hope you get some answers and get it all sorted.

As for cough there has been a few posts on here recently talking about trying to tighten the pelvic floor when coughing - Kegal brace !? Or something like that ! Sorry not much use hopefully someone will pass on their experiences as there has been a few nasty coughs reported ! Hope you feel better soon xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.