Would it be easier if we didn’t know about meno ?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Last year I had a pattern of waking up too early not being able to get back to sleep and was kind of wired.

I didn’t know it was meno and just thought it was a phase I was going through.

I did get through it and got back to a better sleep pattern.

Just wondering if we didn’t know all our symptoms were Meno would we get through this easier .... is focusing on all these symptoms making things worse ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lori

I felt different when I was 43 but just thought it was because I was getting older but then my pms started worsening over the years and itching started(my first peri symptom) the Doc's were baffled and peri was never mentioned. It was the crippling anxiety 11 months ago that threw me I thought I was cracking up mentally and at the time when doc said it could be peri I was kinda relieved that I wasn't losing it mentally and that people would be more understanding because it's supposed to be a natural process but it feels worse now it's peri as I just feel like an alien when I try and tell people and have become obsessed with everything being related to peri. I just feel I've lost myself and will never see her again. I guess if it were a mental illness I'd still feel alien as there's still alot of stigma surrounding that especially in the workplace but it's the same with menopause to. It's time things changed.

• Posted

I think that is the hardest thing: feeling as though you have lost yourself, and that you will never find yourself again. I feel like I keep losing myself over and over again, but in between these periods, I keep emerging. I am relieved to know that it is perimenopause and that many women are going through the same thing; it helps me to feel less alone. I also know that it will eventually end. Won't that be amazing?!

• Posted

Yes Bev it really would be amazing 😀 Like you said there are days, a week where you feel near normal again which reminds us that it's definitely hormones and we are not losing it.

• Posted

Lord no!  I crave knowledge...I’d be loonier right now if there was no explanation!  😂

• Posted

I was so happy when I decided all my "stuff" was meno related and I hadn't had a mental breakdown! I'm sticking to the thought this will all get much, much better and I'll be back to my old self... or maybe even a better version - going through this has certainly put many things into perspective for me. I feel I didn't have my peri diagnosis I would be in loads worse shape mentally and therefore physically. Still hate this phase but it's just a phase, so I can handle it knowing it won't last forever. 

• Posted

You’re happy when you realize it’s nothing worse but then the reality of ‘how to deal with it’ is daunting ! 
  • Posted

I don't think it would be easier. They used to put women in asylums when they were going through "ssshh, the change"(saying this in my whispering voice).  No, it needs to be shouted from the rooftops that this is something that makes people quit jobs, get divorces, be endlessly anxious, and depressed!  66 Symptoms and still a lot of women will not admit they are going through menopause because they see it as a loss of youth and beauty. I'd rather it be meno than all the dread diseases we conjure up in our heads).  LOL!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.