Would it be rational for me to pay to have the HPV vaccine?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm a 52 year-old male living in the UK. I've only had about seven sexual partners in my life, but may be about to start a new relationship.

I could pay to have the HPV vaccine (Gardasil 9) - it's not cheap but it's perfectly affordable for me. It's not available on the NHS other than for adolescents, and generally doesn't seem to be recommedned for people of my age. However, as far as I can tell it seems that it would be likely to offer me protection from strains of HPV that I probably haven't been exposed to and that have a reasonable chance of being risk factors for certain cancers (such as mouth and throat cancers).

There seem to be (effectively) no risks associated with the vaccination.

My thinking is that it would be worth the expense for the remote chance that it might just prevent me getting a very nasty disease at some point in the future, as well as for doing my bit for herd immunity and possibly protecting any future sexual partners I may have.

Am I being reasonable?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Be careful, some people are scamming on vaccinations. I received an email telling me to pay for the vaccine. I do not think we should have to pay for it, its best to go to a place and ask questions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.