Would love some feedback on dealing with symptoms from a vitreous detachment

Posted , 3 users are following.

Would love to know if anyone would share some experiences with dealing with  symptoms from vitreous detachment.  Mine started a year and a half ago.  Quick flashes every so often like a tiny lightning bolt.  Some minor black floaters, occasion pin- head black dot and occasional light blue flash.  Got the PVD diagnosis.  Got much better after a year.  Two weeks ago it started up again.  Panicked it was a retina issue, went to doctor and he said all was fine.  Possible residual vitreous issues.  Now I am concerned it will never go away!!  I am a very anxious person when it comes to health issues and I am wondering if the stress could be contributing as well.  Would love some feedback.  Thank you!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ive had all your symptoms,still do,recently developed a few more symptoms,again doc said its ok,try not to worry pvd symptoms are scarey at times,just try and forget them,i see mine daily. I have them in both eyes. Oh and symptoms change,i panicked so much at first for about a year, I didnt do much of anything. I seriously dont know if my symptoms will ever go away as I believe their is,small vitreous still attached. Xx
    • Posted

Thank you for the response lee12629.  I appreciate you sharing.  It helps to know other people have symptoms that last a long time too!

Thank you for the advice regarding stress and making your symptoms worse.. i agree it does make them seem worse!!  Guess I need to learn how to relax!!! 

• Posted

Of course stress makes it worse as stress doubles how symptoms are perceived.
  • Posted

Lindalou, I am also seeking information on dealing with PVD. The RNIB website says it should normally clear itself within up to 6 months. I have only had mine for 3 weeks so I am still hoping. The RNIB website also says that most people over 65 suffer from this at some point, but asking around nobody seems to have even heard of it. I am interested to read that yours got much better after a year, but also that it has started again - I thought it only happened once in each eye. Could you have a new problem? I am also worried because I am a glaucoma suspect, but apparently this is not linked to PVD - but I have my doubts. All the best, I hope things have improved since your post.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.