Would someone get sick if they used while they were on a suboxone treatment??

Posted , 6 users are following.

My boyfriend is on suboxone but has had someone suspicious behavior. He tells me he would be sick all the time if he were using while on the suboxone. Is this correct?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No he would not. You only get sick with Suboxone if you take it on top of opiates when you've not started the treatment. When you first start treatment you can feel sick for a day or so as it boots all the other opiates away from your receptors and the buprenorphine then sticks to the receptors. Buprenorphine clings to the receptors meaning that doses of 8mg+ means he won't get much effect from the heroin. People can, and do use on top of sub's all the time as the blocker doesn't work totally.
    • Posted

Him telling you this would make me think he's lying to you. I've been on Suboxone so I know 100% and have done studies on the drug itself.
    • Posted

Thank you so much, I appreciate the honesty. I've read about it a lot but it's easier explained from someone who has personal experience. I figured it was a way for his to cover it up. It's just I'm with him 24/7...I thought I would of known but the behaviors are all there.
    • Posted

Lauren, addicts become so good at lying that they can genuinely believe their own lies. It's extremely hard having a relationship with an addict and unless the addict is 100% honest and open about everything it wont work. Being 100% honest is hard as the stuff you may hear could be very shocking and sound totally implausible to you but if they know you can handle it, and support them then they are more likely to open up. Your bf may only be dabbling, using 1ce a week etc but the lies are not a good sign. If you think you can handle it then respect to you but if the relationship is starting out like this then there doesn't seem much hope for the future. Any other questions you have just ask and ill help you in any way i can. All the best. Let me know how you get on. ;-)
  • Posted

Hi Lauren

Have you thought about asking a pharmacist? Also, get some support for yourself from one of the family support groups in your area, ask about them at the local drug service. There is a much greater emphasis now on wider support for the people around those who are in treatment for drug misuse. 

• Posted

That's all great but a pharmacist will only know from books. They may see the ingredients of suboxone and say yes he would get sick but facts are he will not! 100%! I think its a great idea to see a family substsnce misuse counsellor tho and maybe a good idea for you to go with your bf and get it all out in the open. If you care for him and want to stick by him then explain that he needs to be truthful with you. Unlike at present!
  • Posted

No! You can use while on suboxone. It will absolutely not make you sick. Anabuse (or however it's spelled) will make you sick if you drink on it, I believe that is the only drug that does that, but it's for alcoholics. My Neice is on suboxone and that girl has done xanax , percocets, black tar, name it she has done it, and all while taking suboxone.
    • Posted

Thank you!! Do you think it would be a good idea to talk to him about it? I've told him he could trust me full heartedly and i would be there for him no matter what. I've asked to drug test him but he tells me everything is going to come up as a "false positive" for this and that...etc. he tells me sertaline is a false positive for benzos and suboxone would come up for opiates and amphetamines
    • Posted

Hes full of it. It depends on the test but usually ones done by substance misuse places etc can tell the difference between the types of opiates. Cheap ones you buy yourself probably will give false positives, well just positives because buprenorphine is an opiate so if its just a yes/no test for opiates then it will be yes. He sounds to me like hes the type with all the answers and just expects you to believe it. Its not a good thing that hes basically demeaning you by lying about it all. If he was up front and said yes i smoke heroin once a week and cant break the cycle atm then may not be so bad but by the type of lies hes saying suggests hes trying to hide it full stop and hes definitely not ready to quit yet. Maybe you could go with himto see his doctor or drug worker if hes willing to allow you in but if not hes just wanting to keep you from the truth.
    • Posted

One last thing regarding sertaline. It is defo not a benzo so will 100% not give a false positive. The are both central nervous system depressants and csn give similar feelings but Sertaline is an ssri anti depressant and is not a benzodiazepine at all . The 2 will never give a positive for the other so any positive test for benzos, even the cheap ones will mean hes been on the valium, etc. These tablets if the person is addicted can be far worse than the opiates and should not just be stopped if the person is addicted to them. That can in most serious cases be fatal but if he is addicted to benzos he should serk professional help with regards to reducing them as if he has any health problems he may need to be monitored in hospital. Hope all this helps. Thats all from me unless you ask anything else.
    • Posted

1 more thing but suboxone has nothing to do with amphetamines so even the worst cheapest drug tests could never false pos those two. Thats the biggest load of crap ive ever heard which suggests hes doing speed and benzos as well behind your back, benzos prob to come down from speed otherwise why would he tell you this ridiculous BS! Sorry hun but hes full of crap and doesnt realise what hes got!or had should be the result!
    • Posted

Yeah it makes sense that he would be lying about it...I just want to believe him but I can't. He hasn't proven himself truthful. He lied to me about overdosing and dying from herion. At first he told me it was from snorting Oxys then he told me the truth a couple weeks ago after almost two years of dating. It's just lie after lie. I gave him the ultimatum of getting a drug test done somewhere reliable with me there. He got extremely defensive and upset and said he's done with me and having to be constantly questioned. He is not taking the right amount of suboxone prescribed because the police took his prescription out of his car when he got pulled over a couple weeks ago so he's been short. That's why he says he's moody. But thank you you really helped!
    • Posted

Also i have another question. I guess you could consider me naive because I'm 20 and am not an addict but I do feel what is right and what is wrong. I'll give you an example. He begs me to take him places to find subs or else he'll be extremely sick and angry. So I feel bad because he does this oh poor me thing and I give in and drive him to go get medicine. He never lets me come in with him and makes me sit in the car so I get suspicious that he's not getting just subs...I don't know.
    • Posted

Your instinct is usually right and yours here is telling you its crap! It is! 100% Suboxkne holds you for over 24 hours and you dont get as sick as with heroin or oxy,s etc. He would show you that hes buying subs if he was but hes going into the place and buying drugs, opiates or benzos, whichever. Hes treating you like an idiot and playing on your 'so called naivety!' but in reality youre not naive youre being played by a professional liar! As i told you before an addict can convince people they are telling the truth when they are lying because its second nature to them. They even almost believe their own lies so can appear to be more truthful. Believe me hun, I've been an addict for 20+ years and the things hes doing to you ive been there; bought the t-shirt. Your instinct is right and basically unless your bf is willing to go somewhere with reliable tests, tell you the whole truth, how will you know what that is anymore? and take his meds in front of you then there's no future here. Quit before he drags you down too. You've done more than lots would already so youre not letting him down, hes lied and pushed you away. From the outside its obvious but when its you going through it you want to believe the person and that is an amiable quality but sometimes you have to say 'enough is enough!' andci think that time has come. All the best hun but dont let him drag you down and into his lies anymore. Take care.
    • Posted

If he really cared about you and was telling the truth nothing would be too much trouble such as getting tested with you there and if the police took his meds then he could go to his doctor and get more because he should have some sort of form showing it was taken by the police. He wouldnt need to go buting them from the street. How do you kjow he doesnt have the subs in his pocket and when you take him to these places he just showsyou that when he comes out. Hes buying anything other than subs. Believe it. Ifvhe really wanted to he'd let you in and show you what hes doing. He may have cared for you but his first love is the drugs and he will only quit when hes really ready. That doesnt seem to be now! Sorry but its true.
    • Posted

Thank you for your honesty. I've thought about all the ways he could lie to me and deceive me but I will never have the truth, unless something miraculous would happen and it would be life changing to him. I'm tired of questioning him.
    • Posted

Sorry I stand corrected. Whilst it is an 'opioid!' and not an 'opiod!!!' if we are being pedantic! Sorry reg but you corrected me! they both act in exactly the same way to the partner of a drug addict. For Lauren's knowledge or anyone else an opioid is a synthetic opiate unlike morphine and derivatives like heroin which are from the poppy plant.
    • Posted

Used to be a synthetic opiate but now opioid is the term for all type of opiates either natural or synthetic. I stand corrected! By myself!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.