Would you go back?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi people can you help? I am meant to go back and see my counsellor on Thursday but last week she said something that she really shouldn't have and has put me off seeing her again, would you go back or not if you were called incompetent? I felt really upset, I am having assault counselling and really could do with the support. I don't feel completely able to trust her though. Need advice or reassurance or both.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had 6 sessions with a psychologist and she never said hardly anything to me, but I think if she called me"incompetent" I would ask for a new/different counsellor Sam, they supposed to help, not belittle, as people who need help like ourselves are looking for positive, good, comfortable interactions I think, That's what I think, I've been assaulted a few times with weapons and need help or I'm a total wreck when I go out sometimes, So he/she shouldn't have said that

• Posted

To be honest I think you're right, she has no right to call me incompetent.  I went home and cried I've written her a letter explaining how I feel as I wouldn't like to think I have misunderstood and that we can't get past this issue.  I have had other strange comments off her before and if it's easier to cope without the help and lack of insults I would rather do this.  I feel really upset over this so have explained it to her boss, now let's see her wriggle out of this one.

• Posted

Hi Stephen I had the strength to go back which my counsellor was pleased about. I misunderstood her which I felt awful about but she could see by the tears that ran down my face that I genuinely didn't understand. She was OK to be honest, she knew I was quite scared today and I managed to even tell her something I hadn't told anyone before. I think it will now be OK. Thanks for your advice though, are you OK?

• Posted

I'm so glad you got things sorted, and I'm glad they wasn't calling you, I think a lot of times I have misunderstood counsellors/people's help, things they say, as we're in a different situation I think is right to say, so maybe,"me" I look for the negatives in issues or situations I'm in, and then let them linger, and I dwell on them and then I go mad/angry at the wrong people quite a lot, , it's not our fault, we're not to blame for who or what we are, we are all made different, and No-ones perfect, I hate that word, 'perfect', Yes I'm having a good day today, thank you very much Sam, be well, and maybe talk soon.

• Posted

Thank you for being understanding and putting my mind at ease. I have explained to this counsellor that I have Dyslexia and Dyspraxia and sometimes do get things wrong! I don't think I lied do you?

• Posted

No, I don't think you lied at all, , These meetings that we attend, well I'm talking about myself for example, so you could be the same as me, we say things at the spur of the moment, and we say things we shouldn't say, and u always forget to say a lot of things, these meetings have been,and still can be so anxious for me, just knowing I have to see someone can keep me awake for 2 days before the appointment sometimes, worrying myself to death, thinking will I say the right thing, will I be believed,? How will the person/counsellor react to me, even getting help for me is so hard, there's a lot that goes on in our 'fragile' minds, I don't think any professional health worker Will ever understand what I'm going through, and I'm not alone like that, could be the same for you, I can only say to you""try not to worry about it"", I know it's easier said than done, but try Sam, then you can say you've had a go, If they think your lying, change your workers, Only my advice, I'm not qualified in anything apart from being a full time worrier myself, Stay strong Sam

• Posted

Thank you Stephen, it's all now sorted with the counsellor I am seeing, who has also said sorry and is going to alter things around do it will be easier. We'll see. I'll let you know how I do next week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.