Would you say my b12 low?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my bloods done in January and my b12 came back at 253 ng/L with ranges 197.00-771.00.

My Dr says I'm fine but others satin on the low side. Any advice anyone as I see my endo tomorrow as I have an uneractive thyroid. Thanks in advance

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If you have underactive thyroid then you need your B12 levels to be as high as possible. When the B12 is low your thyroid medication won't work properly. Many of us with both conditions keep our B12 at the top of the range. Whether your endocrinologist will be aware of this requirement I can't say. Do you have symptoms of low B12? Are you currently taking thyroid medication?

• Posted

I'm on 200mg levothyroxine and 2 lots of bp meds which Dr has just upped dosage on one of them. When I had my bloods done came back with raised tsh so that's why upped to 200 and also my free t3 came back low. That's why having to see endo. I am constantly tired, breathless and just not right. I am also type 1 diabetic so quite a few things to contend with. As a qualified endo you would hope that they would know something like low b12 stops meds working properly. Quite nervous for tomorrow as I want answers and reassurance but given what people seem to be saying I'm not gonna get answers I need.. In the UK endos seem to be slightly behind in their knowledge compared to the USA. watched loads of American you tube videos ...they seem to ve got on what they know. Fingers crossed for tomorrow then xx

• Posted

Good luck with your endo visit tomorrow, I hope he/she will be helpful. My own endocrinologist was completely disinterested in my B12 levels. My GP thankfully, listened, and agreed to give me a trial of more frequent injections. I now have an injection every six weeks and it has made a huge difference. I hope all goes well for you. MarionĀ 
  • Posted

Was your Folate level checked along with the B12?

As others have said thyroid problems will affect your B12 level and Folate is essential to process the B12.

• Posted

That is low.  You need to have a "healthy" level of folate to process B12 as the two work together.

Please speak to your doctor about supplementing with folic acid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.