Wound

Posted , 3 users are following.

HI can anyone advise me on what to use on my wound to make it smooth, I had hoped to see my surgeon on 29th January but its been canceled. I hope to have a holiday abroad after I recover from my surgery, having second hip done next month so want to get away somewhere warm and wear a swimsuit hope to be able to hide the scars to some degree any suggestions would be welcome thank you Cyndey

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

My wound was glued, not stitched. Don't know if this is what all surgeons do or if it's suitable for everyone. It certainly gave a very smooth result.

I was recommended to use Vit. E oil ( not by medics, can't remember who ... long

time ago... six years in May ) to help reduce scarring. Mustn't be used on wound until skin has come together. If you're in UK you can buy it from Holland and Barrett.

Best of luck; it's a life changer.

• Posted

Once the wound is dry and stitches removed etc., any good quality oil or cream without parabens is ok. I used bio oil (really cheap in costco) but the surgeon told me its not specifically the product but the action of massaging the scar that really helps - it keeps the blood flow going and helps healing, so whatever you use make sure you use your fingertips to gently massage the scar and surrounding tissue and do it frequently - I did it a couple of times a day, morning and evening. I had two scars one each side of my ankle - the outside one which was the longest has almost disappeared. The inner one became macerated and took a long while to close and dry which meant its slightly more prominent and then I had further surgery and they opened the wound again so it took twice as long to heal second time but the massage action really helped it lay flat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.