wound healing

Posted , 3 users are following.

Have had RA for over twenty years. Am on steroids and methx.

A year back I needed to have a major op and ended up with a scar down my tummy. My question is, the wound is taking forever to heal, a year on and it is much better but open at the bottom, having it dressed 3x weekly.

Am I going for a record or is there a solution to this without the need for further surgery? a vacuum has been suggested but reluctant due to the possibility of rupture. Am I alone with this problem?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

ann what a terrible time you've had. Are they saying the steroids are preventing the wound to heal properly?
    • Posted

Thank you for getting back to me. I think my surgeon believes it is a combination of the drugs I am on and of course the RA it'self. I am happy to let time take it's course but then again it would be nice to bring closure (escuse the pun)to the matter.

I am taking Zinc which I think has helped a bit.

• Posted

Oh you poor thing! Sometimes it can take an age to heal if it has to heal from the inside out. My brothers (sorry in advance) bottom wound took 2 years they offered him further surgery but he refused. He started by airing it as much a possible and taking high dose vit c however it depends on the wound, how it should heal, if you've had infections in it etc. Have they given you the choice or are they recommending the surgery If it's leaking or painful they should really swab it for infection. Steroids are well known for adding on time with healing and just having a problem with your immune system in general will also add time. Good luck x
    • Posted

Thanks Jenny,

It has been infection free for some time (touch wood) and is always clean and healthy looking. The steroids are right down now but if I have a flare up I need the jab which of course gets me 'running' again but not good for wounds. My surgeon is not pushing me into anything but just advising me to see other doctors but I feel inclined to go with the flow for a while longer as so scared of any poking about undoing the bit of good already done. I may well add Vit C to my diet.

• Posted

Sounds like a plan, if you can reduce the steroids then Id do so, I burnt my forehead with some hair curlers while I was on steroids a wound like that would for me have healed in a week, while on the steroids for a month (low dose) it barely healed then when off the steroids took another few weeks to heal and this was a really light burn! (Last time I use hair curlers) lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.