Wound infection

Posted , 4 users are following.

I first visited GP 3 weeks ago about my scar being infected. 2 courses of penicillin and numerous visits I found out last Friday that IV antibiotics only would work (though GP receptionist said I was sensitive to iv antibiotics and couldn'the have them and no further action was required!). Saw consultant Monday (GP never contacted me about swab results) he cleaned the scar and I had to ask him if he had the swab result and he said yes and left the room. He came back and wrote me a prescription for oral antibiotics. I showed him the GP report and he said yes ito was the same but the tests they had done showed an oral antibiotic would work (I wasn't convinced - he was going on holiday) and if it didn't work he would deal with it in January. Been on the antibiotics since Monday and feel terrible now, so cold and the scar is stinging it's open slightry on the top layers of the skin (felt like this at leadt once each week). So fed up I just want to get better. My feeling is that I have had this infection for about 6 weeks, i'm 7 weeks post op. Have no idea what his plan is for treatment in January. The infection is pseudomonas aeruginosa.

Sorry for the rant.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Im hoping this has gotten better. I've has both feet done as well.I have H.V.surgery and Hypercure stent put in both Ancles. Me right foot is feeling better surgery was on October 11th.Left foot same procedure .Doctor wanted me to walk in boot first week I tried but couldn't do it without crutches this foot feels like the worst sprang ever .Last week he put me in orthopedic shoe.I tried walking the pain almost drops me to my knees.I've gone back to my boot .We went out to dinner with a fake not in pain smile.Got home Ibeprophene and a hydrocodone to ease pain.I don't go back to see him for 3 weeks.After Christmas it just seems it's taking this Hypercure longer to heal.I'm a Stylist Owner /Operator to continue my work I had no choice but to have these surgeries. I am now living off my credit cards my daughter is a Stylist as well and stepped up to the plate to keep the business going.is this normal to feel this much of a sprang Ancle it's been almost 3weeks and so different from my right foot.Will I ever be normal again?Glad I did it but I really could not afford to be off this long and not much telling how muck longer.My health is worth it but man !!!be prepared to be off work for awhile It's early here in Texas and I'm tired. So glad I found this thread .I feel know one knows how much this hurts. And I with stand pain.Opening it's just early and taking alittle longer for Hypercure to heal and not out of place x-rays needed. Bless you all Have a Merry Christmas. As my Daughter says...Mom we need a Christmas Break it will be more about Christmas and family then gifts and toys first time for everything.. Be Blessed Tree

• Posted

I knew I couldn't handle crutches.  My Drs nurse told me most women don't do well with them so I got a walker. Got along pretty well with it.  It's been 4 months since my surgery. I still have pain in my ankle sometimes and my forefoot is still sore. Just beginning to wear normal shoes for a little while at a time. It's a very slow recovery from this surgery. They say a year to 2 years. Hope you have a nice Christmas. 

• Posted

Hi! How did you no you had an infection?

Am just curious as I am 3wks post op bunionectomy & I have just noticed a water like blister on my big toe and a couple more on my ball of my foot and little toe? They don't hurt me but am worried I case it means infection???

My scar looks ok I think, plus I don't have any pain. But these blisters are worrying me! Doctors don't have any appointment this week 😭

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.