Wound infection from gallbladder laperoscopy leaving gaping wound in navel - anyone else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I keep writing this and then it deletes! I had an infection in my main laperoscopy wound in navel and the surgeon who removed my gallbladder admitted me to hospital five days after the procedure and put me on IV antibiotics plus oral ones and cleaned out and packed the wound each day for four days.

Now I'm home with directions to get wound cleaned and dressed by practice nurse daily until it is fully healed while taking both antibiotics orally because I ran out of veins for the cannulas.

Has anyone else had this experience and how long does it take for a deep open wound like this to heal if so?

He says it was probably caused by local anaesthetic after the op - which snagged a blood vessel abd this turned into an abscess. Ultrasound showed that internal infection not a problem although he said my gallbladder was tucked right into my liver so was very hard to extricate - stone the size of a cream egg complicated the key hole surgery further.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear about this, a terrible outcome.  I hope you are getting the special attention you deserve.  What does the practice nurse say?  They are probably more experienced with wound infection and management than the doctors because they change the dressings and speak to the patients every day.  I hope it starts to get better soon...poor you. sad
    • Posted

Thanks - yes Practice nurse is great friend too and reassured me she is on mission to heal it up but won't be quick probably. It's basically in a bad location and has replaced my tummy button which was already deep. I've also got infected haematoma from one of cannula sites on my arm so all a bit rubbish! So far this year had lumbar puncture went wrong, flue then pneumonia, a pancreatitis drug reaction to an RA drug and in between a severe neuropathy thought to be a part of my multi system connective tissue disease. I look after myself very well and have lost half a stone since the cholecystectomy ten days ago so every cloud has a silver lining I guess!
  • Posted

A wound like this depending on how deep it is and if the bed of the wound can be seen to be granulating(new skin forming ) or if it is a pocket or sinus wound which leaks? What is the PN putting on the wound? Does it hurt is it red around the edge is it being packed.. If it is a crevice wound that is I/2 inch or more will take weeks..6 + you may need regular swabs to check you are infection free as this will then continue to heal..
    • Posted

Thanks - it's my deep belly button which is now the wound from keyhole incision - about an inch in diameter.

The PN took a swab and says it's still quite infected but no pain now when she cleaned it and packed it full of silver cord. Said how long is piece of string (or silver cord!) when I asked how long it might take to heal. Relieved that the awful pain has gone from it now at least - a good sign. My belly is pretty swollen and too rolly Poly so the dressings keep coming off because of the creases so the location of wound site is a problem but flexigrid x 2 is helping now - as is Tramadol for tummy grot and my RA.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.