Wound not healing completely any advice?

Posted , 8 users are following.

My surgery was June 8 I’m currently nursing still a small open wound where the war of incision on the plate was made I’ve seen my physician and he says unless I have a fever doesn’t seem to think there’s a problem yet the skin is not going back together in this one small area anybody have any suggestions? Im elevating more as selling goes up in foot most times when it down for a long time I’m having the large non weight bearing screw removed sept 7th..

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had one like that too, it took forever to heal and close, it's not as pretty as the other scars, however, it did eventually heal. Surgeons don't care about what your leg/ankle looks like.

Good luck with having the big screw out, I still think that was the most horrid surgery I had as my bones had grown over the screws and it took him quite a while to find them. What should have been a 10 minute op turned into over an hour.

• Posted

Israel has invented a new screw made of bone, and disintegrates over time - therefore, there is no need to remove it. 
  • Posted

Buy some Aquaphor over the counter creme, and rub it on your scar. This is what plastic surgeons use, and your doctor should have suggested. 

Is it painful and/or red? You could always ask him for a blood test to see if you have an infection. 

• Posted

I had this too, apparently because there’s not much skin over the ankle that once it’s packed with screws and plates it’s hard to close up again. 

I tried using a silver spray and dressings impregnated with silver. It’s a bit alternative but I thought it helped a bit. 

In my case I found that although the wound did close, it kept reopening until I had the metalwork removed.

I hope you’re feeling better soon.

• Posted

I dont think a wound should be open for over 2 months without somebody advising on a dressing. In UK we have wound care nurses. Does you family doctor have one of these at your surgery. I had a screw out that had become loose. Big one. Simple op and did not set me back one bit. Hope you are lucky with that. Get a second opinion on wound. Are you diabetic or on any other meds, like methatrexate, which can slow healing?
  • Posted

You should go in get a second opinion!!! If I was you!!! It's not going to hurt nothing. Just want to take out one screw they got a hole and

your bone and your bones weaker that's why doctors do not like to remove no Hardware at all unless it's necessary. Good luck and God bless you!!

• Posted

Update! Please listen to your body  and others during the healing process. In my instance the doctor did not take the time to address the wound issue where others had told me I should have gotten a culture and been on antibiotics.   My doctor never did this and upon having an eye infection and being prescribed antibiotics, my issue in my ankle started to subside and wound started completely healing. Now due to the delay there’s a concern  for the hardware inside now also harboring the infection so he is taking out the plate and screws and I’ll be nonweightbearing again for another six weeks and believe me I’m already tired of it after being nonweightbearing for three months. So be careful listening at the advice of others and make sure you’re getting second opinions and listening to your body.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.