Wound pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey all,

I have been experiencing pain in my wound line, really sharp and anything touching it is not great.

I got my staples removed on Monday and the nurse put a new dressing on it. (still on)

Should I be removing this now? A new one on?

At what point do I leave it off altogether?

I am worried that I may have an infection or something may be wrong.

Today I have been feeling yucky(as in feeling nauseous and tired) and my calf/thigh are tight.

Still struggling with the exercises.

Do any of you have any advice? Have you had a similar experience? Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks

Natalie

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Are you taking your pain meds regularly? Was your dressing put kn correctly with antibiotic ointment? Can you let the air get to it a little? If it us sore, call your Doctors office i never had that problem with mine I'm facing my LtKr on MAY 23rd Right knee us awesome after 2 yrs . Best if luck Hang in there

• Posted

You need to call your surgeon right away, why did they re wrap it? were you bleeding after? I would imagine your scar line WOULD hurt after taking the staples out. My incision was glued. No stitches.

My calf has been hard and swollen at times. Please let us know how you do. We are all in this together. Take care

• Posted

I HAD MY KNEE REPLACED LAST MAY. I ENDED UP GETTING AN INFECTION IN THE SURGICAL SIGHT. IF YOU THINK YOU DO CALL THE DOC AND GET ON ANTIBIOTICS. 8 MONTHS LATER I AM DOING WELL. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.

• Posted

Hi Natalie

I had my staples removed last Monday too. The nurse put a new dressing on mine and said to leave it on for 5 days. I'm planning on removing it this weekend and letting the air get to it. I've not had any pain in the incision itself, just a little soreness at times. When I was discharged from hospital I was given a number to call if I had any concerns about my knee. Is there any thing in your discharge papers? I think you should let them know how you feel, or contact your GP. I wouldn't ignore those symptoms. It nay be nothing, but better safe than sorry.

• Posted

P.S. Nurse said it was up to me whether I wanted another dressing on. I have a spare. She said sometimes people prefer to cover it in case it catches.

• Posted

When the nurse removed my staples she cleaned it and applied a fresh dressing told me to leave it on for 48hrs then remove it. Left me a few spare just in case but didn't need it. Scar was fine yes tender but no infection. Early days I think with this op you experience all sorts of pain as well as discomfort but if as bad as u say give the Dr a ring. Always act safely x

• Posted

Hi im now 3 months post TKR 2nd one and i found the scar line very sensitive to even the lightest bed sheet so thats normal as for when i had the staples removed no more dressing was needed and letting the air get to it helps.Even 3months on trousers and certainly jeans make my scar slightly sensitive still. If you had an infection i would of thought you would of had leakage from the area or maybe red angry swelling on the line.I also found the lack of sleep made me feel off colour and sickly but pop to your GP or see the practice nurse about your concerns dont let it lie be pro active rather safe than sorry.

• Posted

hi had my rtkr last may had problems with wound weeping for few weeks consultant put me on antibiotics as a precaution. i also had trouble the excercises hang in there it does get better xxx best of luck

• Posted

Hey all,

Thanks so much for your replies.

I went to the hospital, showed them my wound and explained how I feel.

I seen a ward nurse, on call dr and orthopaedic dr.

By looking at it, they don't think that it is infected, however they suggested it could be nerve pain.

They took my bloods and did my obs ( blood pressure a bit low and heart rate was high) and bloods came back showing white cell count a bit high.

The hospital let me come home and I have to go and see my surgeon at an appointment they gave me for Monday.

Dr pressed real hard all on and round the knee and was moving it different ways. Defo feeling the effects of that.

Just thought I would keep you all updated.

Night x

• Posted

Glad you got it checked out. I hope you have a constructive consultation today and are reassured. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

Seen my surgeon yesterday and he looked at the wound and said it looks perfect. (phew)

We discussed how I was feeling and his words were, for an operation of this magnitude, 3 months is early days, and i will be 3 weeks tomorrow(wednesday) so this is still very early days, and I have to stop being hard on myself.

He said for some reason, it takes younger people longer to recover too but I just need to keep pushing through the pain/stiffness and hopefully begin to see a difference.

So I do feel a bit more reassured than I was.

Thank You, how are you doing? x

• Posted

That's great news, so pleased for you. These worry worms are a nuisance aren't they? They take hold of our imaginations and run riot with them. I'm doing ok thanks, some days better than others, had a down day Sunday, moaned and whinged, but had my first decent night's sleep that night and felt like a different person yesterday. Then, this morning it's more painful and I'm off for my first outpatient physio today - typical. I think it's easy to think we should be further ahead and start getting impatient, but it is very early days. My surgeon said to expect to be mobile in 6 weeks, hopefully resume most pre-surgery activities by 12 weeks, but a year before everything has healed. I read that under the staples are a further 5 layers of sutures that carry on repairing the underlying tissues so it's no wonder we get lots of differing pains and pulling sensations. Our poor knees have really been through it!

• Posted

Hi i got my stapples out after 14 days nurse put a dressing on it she said leave it on for 2 days then take it of to let the air get to it and get a shower hopefully all is ok and no sign of infection .hope all goes well good luck.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.