Wound protection and feelings

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 43 and had a LTHR nearly 4 weeks ago now.

It all seems to be going well and I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate this group so firstly yeah! and thank you!!

Anyhow, my first question is as follows- at what point do i not need to replace dressings that cover the scarred area? I've had super glue rather than staples or stitches. I think it's all in my mind but I feel I have a sense of protection with it on!

My second question is at what point do I revert back to my self confident person who has a great job, fantastic husband and 5 year old son? When will i stop sobbing for no reason for 5 mins at a time and then carry on as if nothing happened - it's pathetic really.

Any help, thoughts, advice is welcome x

??

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

You've been through an awful lot physically and emotionally.  Suffering with ups and downs is very common.  I remember it all too clearly.  I was about 4 weeks post op and the nurse called to check on me.  As I started talking I burst into tears and couldn't stop crying.  That poor woman!  The good news is that a month later the tears and feeling down went away.  The difference could have been that at 8 weeks post op I was doing very well with physio and was able to get out of the house and do more.

Just think of this as short term.  You'll be amazed at how better you feel in just a few more weeks.

Best wishes!

• Posted

On your second question I'm exactly the same.  I had my operation last Thursday and think it may be the anaesthetic, the transfusion I needed and shock from the whole experience.  I'm usually super independent and I'm finding it hard not be able to run around like I usually do.  I also don't feel very attractive with my operated leg being huge compared to the other.  However, when I read posts on this forum from people managing on their own I realise how lucky I am to have a husband who would do anything to help me.  I also feel a bit pathetic but good to know I'm not on my own.  X

• Posted

The 5 mins of sobbing might go on for a few months - the whole experience is all very upsetting and traumatic (been there still do it occasionally). But it will get better as you feel better, so just have a good cry and don't beat yourself up about it 🤗

• Posted

Hi, I had dissolvable stitches, glue and clear plastic over my wound. I think the plastic came off at about 2 weeks. Maybe check with your surgery.

Regarding sobbing, the whole process is so overwhelming, but it will pass. Wishing you all the best, Judith

• Posted

Dear Biz, 

warm welcome to the forum of  hippies.... we share our personal stories and experiences here; come in all ages and stages - no where else will you find unconditional support and compassion...

I had the posterior approach and staples , which were removed 14  post-op-I live alone and home health nurse came everyday to help me wash and dressandalso looked after the scar - mine was neat and dry and changed every 2-3 days - I was not allowed to take a shower though... 

I asked for dressing to stay on after staples were removed for protection - 

What kind of procedure did you get and is your scar closed and dry?

Oh yeah ... the emotional roller coaster - 

Everything before a surgery like this prepares you for the physical outcomes of the procedure, right ?

:What to expect in the hospital, how long you will stay, medications required  and how to function with limited mobility.

Not so much told about the emotional impact it might have -

Just to name a few things:

sometimes the after effects of anesthesia (anesthesia seems to bring out our sensitive sides and our anxiety) or side effect of some medications

and a general sense of disarray.

Plus being instructed to stay in bed and restricted to low impact activities, doesn't make things any better. Throw on top of that that you are all bruised up and sore. Well, no wonder you're feeling down.

It is normal ... your body is processing and healing the traumatic event --- 

go with it - it is okay ... no need to explain because it ishard to explain - it jist comes and goes, as you have already experienced - 

I admit that being a male might make it more challenging tosurrender to these emotions, but try to and always come here okay ... 

every day you are getting better and stronger and with thhat, your self confidence will get better - stupid little things will make you feel as if you climbed mount everest - again, come here and we will celebrate these vistories with you !!!

be kind with your self

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.