Wound splitting opened.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone else have the wound opening up   It looks like it's healed then opens up right on the ankle bone and because nerves are exposed is so painful to touch on anything sleeping is awful. The top of wound is slow to heal where the caste rubbed staple out. So it gapes. No infection but oh so painful. Can't bare a dressing on it. Dr said it's common because the blood supply takes longer to get to foot and no fat on the bone. It's doing my head in.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jenni,

I have something similar it did have an infection and I took antibiotics, it still weeps occassionally very frustrating however,, after having 6 surgeries to fix my ankle I see it as a very small problem. It will heal and I will have a bigger scar there, although I have 6 scars all told, so can't complain about one.

• Posted

Hi Marion. And no it's not the scar that bothers me it's fear of infection that worry me the most. I'm so grateful that I have a leg. I'm now walking more and mainly without support I'm usually very quick to heal so this splitting after 3 months had me concerned. And were the 6 surgerys in the same injury. You must have done a hell of a job on it. Wishing you a speedy recovery 

• Posted

Hi Jenni,

Yes 4 athroscopies, after the 3rd it became infected, hence another arthroscopy to clean it out, unfortunately the bone became infected which resulted in ankle fusion, and the last one was to have the screws removed. Your right I am grateful to have my ankle and am walking slowly, physio is helping and my pressure socks are wonderful.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery

• Posted

I never had that problem Jenni, and my doctor would have been all over that! You need to insist that your doctor take care of it because the pain is at a ten! 
    • Posted

Yes mary dr keeping a very close eye on it. I avoid pain meds as have allergic reaction to most, I did have pain relief at first but when the reactions got too bad couldn't have it. 

• Posted

This keeps happening to mine as well jenni. I did get an infection after four weeks strangely after i had the stiches out. I was given antibiotics which i had an allergic reaction to so had to spend some time in hospital with intravenous antibiotics which was a nightmare. The weeping i get now (I'm at the three month mark) is more water based and not quite the same. I'm sure its taking so long to heal because of the air boot. It kind of opens up about half a centimetre and leaks but my gp said its not infected i just need to avoid getting it wet and try to dry it out by airing it. Definatly visit your gp and get it checked out.

• Posted

Yes Samantha I saw gp and I hated that darn moon boot didn't have it for long and yes that rubbed badly and my only mild infection was after staples came out. I had a prescription for antibiotic and at the first sigh if infection took them. Reactions to antibiotic not good but not as bad as you. As soon as anything changes and I'm not sure of I'm back to gp. She's very patient with me. Not like the mongrel surgeons. They didn't even tell me to wear a levelling shoe on good foot to avoid damage to hip back and knees. If I'd worn the boot for 6 weeks like he said I'd be a cripple for sure. I'm also at 3 month mark  and thought I'd go insane until I found this forum. Good healing to you. 

• Posted

Hi jenni,

I'm getting the feeling arrogance is a skill required by surgeons in my hospital so your not alone. I couldn't fault the care i received when i first broke it but since then i have been given no support or explanation of what i actually did or what it could mean and i never get to ask as i never get to see the surgeon he always sends a messenger.

I have gotten rid of the boot now its just too warm and my wound split yesterday and is looking very suspicious so i think I'm going to have to get it checked. I do feel that my actual ankle and foot feel better today though much less stiff and swollen. How are you doing?

• Posted

The people in this forum have given me more information and support than anyone else. That boot is so bad not only ie it hot painful butt also damaging if not used properly and nobody is told about the added damage. Have you had wound checked and hope it's ok. I carry a tube of betadine and apply it every few hours and so far so good. Still split a tiny bit on ankle bone but doing better. 

• Posted

I completely agree i was put in a size nine boot at first when I'm a size 5 normally as they said i needed room for swelling. I was in it for 6 weeks and so my foot was pointing down and sliding around in the wrong position. Now I'm trying to stretch the heal muscles and tendons as they have completely shrunk and that is the hardest part of the whole recovery. I ended up with huge blisters and cuts from the straps as well. I'm pushing myself everyday with exercises but I'm trusting my pain threshold and judging what i can and can't do. We all heal differently so its silly to think we all follow the same timeline. We'll done you though your nearly there!

• Posted

Hello Jenni

I have the same problem, 2 open wounds at my incision spot.

I'm having my plates & screws removed on Friday

June 23th. I hope this time I don't get this again.

I pad mines, with a abdominal pad, then a wrap to cover it. It does hurt to touch. I hope you get

better real soon! Are you on any meds now?

I thank you advance for a reply back..

Thank again Veronica

• Posted

Oh ladies I so feel for you all. Don't know what I'd do if my scars opened up. Both mine look great, so hopefully won't have any problems. It's bad enough when everything seems to be going to plan, as the time just keeps going n going. This has been the longest 11 weeks of my life. Seems even longer than when I was pregnant!! My feel like this because we are all restricted with things we can't do. I'm now loosing the plot and starting to bite everyone's head off due to anger frustration and bordem. Wishing you all a speedy recovery. Sx

• Posted

Hi Veronica. Sorry for the delay in reply. No meds since week 3 too many side effects I can't cover mine as anything that touches it stings and burns. Nerves are raw. How long have plates been in. I'm not too sure what happens bot I know I'll never get a spinal again. I've begun to shake and fingers hurt. Bont know if this because the spinal bloke took 4 goes to get it in and whole body was shocked and spasms. I asked about possible nerve damage and he said well I hope not and no I don't think so.my faith in medical profession is at rock botttom. That's my rant thank care. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear all this Jenni. You really have had a rough time of it. And I moan about what I'm going through!!! Another physio today with a few more exercises which I managed OK. Been told to soak foot in as cold water I can stand taking it in and out which will help with swelling, colour as still going very red once it's down and hot in the boot. Hope you get to feel a little better soon... Heat not helping is it!! Sx

• Posted

Hi Sandra. I'm doing quite well there are others on here going through hell. I've been there and can't say I'd like to ever go back. My injury was march 24 and I can now walk it still hurts and I'm not walking very fast or overly far. I rarely get bad swelling now and my feet are almost same colour. I suffered so bad in the boot. Surgeon told me to leave it off. I have sort off doctored myself. Listened to my body did what it allowed me to do and my dr recons I'm doing great. Bone shows no sign of break ot fracture just now to get the darn wound to close properly. Im hoping you get some relief I've found it's not just the break that's debilitating it's all thr c..p that goes with it. 

• Posted

Hi Jenni

I hope you are feeling better, these days! You been through alot. I feel your pain!

I' ve been going on with my problem, 2 years now. Tomorrow is my day June 23th hopefully by getting this plate & screws out of my ankle, I will be on my way back to my life! Its been a very long journey with all this. Im going to be put to sleep for my surgery. At the hospital, out patient department. I'm planning on coming back home, after the surgery. Hopefully nothing else will need to be done to kept me there! I wish you the best in recovery! Hang in there! Thanks again Veronica

• Posted

your right there with all the c..p its never ending. Everyone loosing it now in this house. Couldnt do enough in the beginning, now nothing getting done as Im up out of bed. Seem to expect me to go back to the good old days. I am doing more each day but as im the one who does ALL the DIY needed things are getting me down now. Just found out today that drain has collapsed outside, and my son told me its been like that forw few weeks!!! not bigger job to do!!!  grrrrr i would of been able to do it myself if i had noticed it. I feel as if i could put FWB but as ive not been told im afraid I may do damageso still only LWB, only another week to see whats next. But thank God the pain has subsided, just aching after i do my exercises. I hope the wound heals soon seem this is whats holding you back a bit... sx
    • Posted

good luck Jenni for the 23rd. 2 years down the line!!! long time. I hope im not the same. Lets hoe all goes well and your ale to come home same day and get on with the recovery.  sx
    • Posted

Haha Sandra i had to comment after reading that post. I have a two year old, twelve year old, a thoroughbred horse and two very energetic dogs. When i first hurt it everyone helped loads my partner bless him is working two jobs and taking care of my horse so can't complain.......until everyone leaves their rubbish on the kitchen worktop or washing upstairs!

You really do realise who your friends are when something like this happens . Although i have a few people that have been lifesavers and i would have struggled without.

• Posted

Sane here with the rubbish getting left. My son n hubby are the world's worst for getting things out of its place, where its been forever, then just open door /drawer and just plonk it anywhere or worse still just leave out. I lost it earlier with both of them, as I had to buy a new fridge and freezer which was delivered Monday as my other packed up in this heat. Once I had unpacked which was a struggle on my own as both were out. I noticed the fridge leg needed to get adjusted because it wobbled, normally I would do it without asking none would be the wiser. Well here we are 4 days later and still not done. So sandie lost the plot, quess what got done!!! But took me to get angry before anyone moved. Then top it all tried to carry a glass of juice into the room on crutches... Well didn't make it, so off I went again. 😢 I just cannot get my head around how much a broken ankle can stop%change your life around. We too have a dog and she's nuts, but she's the only one who does as she told. Lol she even come when she knows I'm upset to give me her paw and a 😘. Kiss.. Rant over... Lol sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.