WOWSER it works 5HTP

Posted , 6 users are following.

Having Migraines or Chronic Daily head pain for 20 years id tried everything a neurologist can throw at you, im now down to the last few which involve a new beta blocker only available in Germeny and Botox. Id read about 5HTP so I thought what the hell and started the tablet, I take them 300mg on a night before bed around 8pm, they hurt my tummy for around 25mins, but only like other preventatives can, nothing major just a mild ache. and im only 5 days in but ive woken with clear fresh heads, something I have not had in over 20 years. I,ll keep you all posted on how they pan out.

Also if you do try them, order some Vitamin B6 also, this helps your body absord them fully.

Good Luck

A pain Free

Rob

P.S I was taking 12 Imigran a Month by the way, so its either the weather or these

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello. That's amazing and surely it must be the 5HTP. I've heard feverfew can also be taken to relieve migraines but apparently you have to take it for months before it has any affect. This is definately worth a try.
  • Posted

I did try Feverfew and it never worked for me.

Ive always been conscious that everything we take as Migraine sufferers reduces either Serotonin or Blood pressure. Nothing actually Increases it or regulates it, as you all know Serotonin is a big thing in Migraine,

One thing I used to relate to was if I had 1 can of beer on a night, my head pain would be 50/50 if it would

progress to a headache where I need to have Imigran, but I could never think of why.

I did some research into what alcohol does and it indeed does stimulate serotonin. I actually don't drink now but on occasions I did I noticed this effect.

I also think chocolate does this, hence why we all know that cutting chocolate etc from diets is a Migraine sufferers first port of Call, never once did I think of it the other way and that indeed maybe the lack of it could be my cause.

Ill keep you posted on how it goes,

• Posted

That’s interesting about the 5HTP. On the topic of feverfew, I’ve been taking Feverfew Tanacet 125mg religiously every morning with breakfast for nearly twenty years as I’ve found it helps in lessening pain intensity to some degree and cutting down on the imigran. On the odd occasion, over the years, that I’ve missed one, I soon realize it, as a worst ever attack then kicks in. Unfortunately the feverfew that I have stuck to, has been discontinued, connected to new regulations, and I’m down to my last few packs so need to find a good alternative. So far I can only see Migraherb which is only sold in packs of 30 for about the same that I paid for 90 tablets of the previous Tanacet 125mg. and I’m worried about having to change products.
  • Posted

Hello Amanda. Have you looked on the Healthspan website? The feverfew they sell contains Tanacet although it doesn't state how much.
  • Posted

Im now on Day 5 and no Head pain. Amazing. I don't even get that nagging pain on an evening when im

Tired

I,ll keep updates coming, but if I make sunday that's the first week in a long long time

• Posted

Fingers crossed for Tobamory - sounds optimistic! Also, thanks for the suggestion Matron - I'll have a look at that website. Thanks again.
  • Posted

Don't want to be a damp cloud esp whilst I'm in bed for the third level 8 migraine this week butWebMD us website warns against using 5HTP as it may be unsafe. Some possible comtaminamt May cause something called EMS - enough said!

Helen xx

• Posted

Yeah I've seen that, nothing concussive as of yet but worth people reading

Should they have any issues

Just get very pure 5htp hunt Around,

Side effects are

No way near as bad as methysurgide what most of us came from, now that was a known nasty one but they still prescribe it now it's discontinued

I've been headache free for 2 weeks now had

A mild one today see how it goes tomorrow

Will follow it up with neurologist see what he can prescribe that's Same just to be sure

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.