WPW Syndrome

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 56 year old female. This all started when I was in 4th grade, I would get heart palpitations (I guess more accurately they would be called SVT;s?) and didn't tell anyone, it wasn't until I was 13 that I passed out from them that anyone else became aware that I had a problem, these would last 2-4 hours and would end up in the ER and they would 'convert' me using some sort of meds that would make my head pound like they were hitting me with a sledge hammer. After some testing I was diagnosed with "WPW with episodes of PAT". I was given small doses of Inderal and Digoxin to control the palpitations that were happening frequently. In my 20's they  they decreased dramatically. For years I was told this was nothing to worry about and as I got older for the most part the palpitations were not present. About 5-6 years ago the palpitations did come back although they were very short (under a minute) no big deal. I mentioned this to the GP I was going to at the time and he didn't see the WPW in the EKG and told me that I didn't know what I was talking about and that I probably was misdiagnosed (my records are long since gone). I went to a new doctor. 2 weeks ago I had a major SVT tachicardia where they actually had to shock me twice to get me back to normal. Now I'm being told what was no big deal all my life is suddenly a big deal and I'm not taking it serious enough. I have been working hard to lose weight and get into shape over th3 years and now  they won't let me do my hard workouts I'm used to I can walk and do my strengthening exercises.  (the doctor didn't even want me to do that much). I'm going to and Electrophysiologist in a couple of weeks but the cardiologist that I saw right after the the ER visit says I need an ablation. How soon after will I be able to begin exercising and do i really need the ablation? Aren't there other tests they should do first to see if I really have WPW if they are no longer seeing it in the EKG? i know it was there when I was younger because the doctor showed it to me and my husband and explained it. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I also had one EKG not the delta wave of wolf parkinson white but my EP said it doesn't mean it's not there. He said that just doesn't go away. Your pathway may not be so fast, but there is no way of knowing that unless they do a EP study. They can see how fast it goes up with a stress echocardiogram but now down that will require the EP study at least that's what my doctor told me. Getting an ablation is a good option but that's up to you, I was tired of the meds and I figured I had the same risks anyway with or with out the ablation, so I went ahead and did it. I don't regret it but it was hard for me to get over, not to discourage you or anything. Everyone is different. I think my body took longer to heal because I was in bad shape when I had the ablation. I am 33, I was diagnosed last year. Had a major episode in No after that I couldn't work until after my surgery. It took me about 2 months to be able to work. The EP will tell you what's your best option. Ask a lot of questions, how many people he's ablated, etc. As far as exercise, I feel it took me about 7 months to be able to do so.

• Posted

Seven months! I really hope that won't be the case for me. I have worked so hard to lose weight almost 70 pounds and I have about 20, give or take to go) over the past 3 years and started exercising with a personal trainer about a year ago, doing strengthening exercises and doing cardio just about every day. It's driving me crazy the past 2 weeks not being able to do my cardio! I have an appointment next week with the "expert" that is in our area, the one everyone wants to go to for ablations. 

• Posted

Ablation will cure this.

If you no longer have the delta wave - then strictly speaking you dont have WPW. Despite this the accessory pathway will still be present and its causing AVRT SVT episodes.

Ablation of the accessory pathway will cure this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.