Wrapping cling film round knee???

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm 3 weeks po. Having watched to YouTube video of the gentleman after his 2nd TKR wrapping cling film round his knee at night to ease those stabbing pains that I also am enduring.

Couldn't wait to try this lady night. Unfortunately it made no difference whatsoever. Shame as I am willing to give anything a go, no matter how bizarre it sounds. Just wanted to share my experience.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Not heard of that for pain relief...only for protecting bandage in the shower.
  • Posted

Well, it sounds reasonable to ME! The wrap COULD give some compression that COULD possibly help.

I don't think this was a bad idea at all, and I have been known to try stuff just to see if it works JUST LIKE YOU!

When I am experiencing pain, I want it GONE! If there's any chance AT ALL, I am pretty much willing to TRY IT!

Thanks for the tip. It COULD work for some, I think.

• Posted

I watched the same video at about 3 weeks zoo my bilateral Tkr's. It's disparate times at that point. It didn't work for me either. I promise you it will get better. It will take awhile. You are in the very early days. It will happen. I found that my knees were mare comfortable with a light sweat pant rather than directly touching the covers. Now I'm 6 mo post and I don't think about it the sensation anymore.

Take care and try to be patient,

Joyce

• Posted

Hi joyce61477

Thanks for replying. I'm loving this forum. It's such a tonic to share so many others experiences. You didn't say how your knee feels now that your 6 months PO. Does it feel remotely normal/comfortable and are you pain and stiffness free.

You sound very together.

Regards Margaret

• Posted

Hi Margaret,

How together I am, I'm not so sure! However, like I said I had both my knees done 6 months ago. Now I walk normal, even at a good pace. I can do a lot more...we are going hiking this morning. Do they feel completely normal, no not yet. For me the left gives me a little more trouble, as I have some scar tissue. My range of motion with both is great, about 135' flexion an 0' extension. Are they still stiff, especially if they have been immobile?..,yes, but it's not as bad and goes fairly quick (10 seconds). I am still making a lot of progress at this point and don't see it slowing down. I still go to PT, now 1x a week. So things do get better! It was however, a very difficult recovery.

Hang in there,

Joyce

• Posted

Joyce61477

Wow so impressed with your recovery. Just imagine where you might be at the 1 yr stage.

• Posted

Thank you Marfaret. But a 3 weeks PO I was a mess! My knees were healing so differently, that also threw me. My biggest recovery honestly has been In the last 2 months. I just don't want to imply that it's been all "wine and roses". I now am glad I did it, because I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel..,u will too....it takes time. If you were to read some of my early day pity party posts, you would see I've come along way.

Take care Joyce

• Posted

Sorry I typed your name incorrectly Margaret!
  • Posted

Hi Margaret i am about 3 months post op..altho i didn't and don't have much pain at night the knee was hypersensitive to having anything touching it..i wore a light fabric sleeve (stretchy material) around it for a while...that and massaging it helped with the sensitivity. It does get better the longer you are post op...i had an mua about 3 1/2 weeks ago and have been doing lots of intensive PT post that..they make you cpme in 5x per week for the first 2 weeks and now i am down to 3x...but it has made a huge difference. .i went from a bend of about 85 to 115 this past friday plus a lot more strength in my quad so that i can use my cane for balance. ..huge improvement for me as prior was still on a (bloody) walker...seeing light at the end of the tunnel and you will too....my dr told me that the stiffness lasts about 6 months....so I said ok then...Dec 17th..what time of day dhould I expect relief? If only it was that easy...take care
  • Posted

Welcome to the group that's in the failure category. It was a messy waste of saran wrap as far as I was concerned. I guess if it works.....go for it. I could have used it last evening as I was on my feet too much testers a t and suffered the consequences.
  • Posted

I am three weeks post op for a total knee replacement and remember watching this video before I had my surgery. Because of experiencing the same symptoms this gentleman had I got up in the middle of the night and decided to give this a try.  It worked for me! I went right back to sleep.  I don't know why it works but it did for me. 
  • Posted

I am 4 weeks post op from second tkr , my doctor mentioned the video to me when I did the first knee six months ago. I laughed and forgot about it. Well one sleepless night I tried it but I added tea tree oil mixed with olive oil and massaged it and wrapped it up along with my ice machine. My second scar looks so much better than my first does within two days. So now I am wrapping both up to easy the scar pain and its appearance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.