Wrist Fracture. In cast but arm pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. 1st time I’ve broken a bone and it’s my wrist. I initially had my cast on 2 weeks which then became really loose. Went this week to have a follow up X-ray and a new cast put on. Was ok at first but now two days after I am getting cramps in my fingers and my arm bone (not the break but further up) seems to be hurting/aching. Is this normal? I’m not getting numb or tingly fingers as such and nothing red or swollen, but concerned that it may be causing other complications. Help me. 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Casts are uncomfortable and restrict hands and fingers from how they normally move. Can be strain in the fingers and areas from the cast and referral pain from the fracture. Try to rest the hand and wrists . Ice areas and take anti inflammatory meds or take what has the doctor recommended since the cast . 

Healing blessings sent your way. 

• Posted

If you have any concerns I would check with your doctor.

I broke my wrist at the beginning of April and am thankfully out of my cast now - found it very claustrophobic! But during that time I went back to the accident and emergency department at my local hospital twice as I thought the cast was too tight - they split the cast and this was marginally more comfortable! I mentioned at the time that my fingers were also tingly but they were not too concerned as they checked my fingers and the blood flow looked alright.

I am having more problems now since my cast has been removed about a month ago - my fingers are swollen but this can be expected after cast removal and a few fingers are tingly and a bit numb! My orthopaedic doctor is not too concerned but I get anxious about every little symptom!

Everyone is different with their healing, I guess it takes patience of which I don’t have!

Good luck with your healing!

• Posted

Call your Doctor. Could be the cast is pressing somewhere in the middle. Ask him for a removable cast you can take off for showers. I’m surprised if they put a plaster one on. They don’t usually do that anymore. My first one was soft wraps & then the removable one.

The reason the first one got loose was that your swelling went down. They casted too soon after your break. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.