Wrist very stiff 3months after surgery

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hi,

Wanted to please hear from others who have had a distal radius fracture and surgery with a plate inserted.

Three months ago i fell and shattered my wrist.

Had surgery on the 8/7/2016 and 2 weeks later cast came off and about 10 days later started therapy.

However, my therapist told me that my hand isn't good..can hardly bend my wrist up or down or twist it. It's very stiff. My fingers still hurt but I can make a fist now.

What I noticed also 3 weeks ago is that my elbow is becoming stiff again ..not to mention my shoulder..also limited movement. I told my therapist and when he touches the area around my shoulder it's is so painful.

Has anyone experienced this also?

How much therapy did you do also at home for those that had stiffness and now their hand is relatively ok?

Has anyone gone to an orthopedic doctor for a second advice following their surgery (besides the surgeon who performed the surgery)?

Thanks

3 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there

Well coming up to 5months since my wrist operation and just returned to work yesterday!slowly getting more use and hoping in next few months will be able to make a fist as fingers are still stiff and getting better with physio and I think getting back to work will help. I still get lots of aching around wrist and forearm which again I hope will reduce in time? What a journey this has and is. Still not driving as have very little strength in my hand/fingers and using resistant band to exercise along with 1and 2kg weight. Hope you're all doing ok x

• Posted

Hi Monica.

Glad to hear you have returned to your job. Perhaps the movement will help Do buy one of those balls to compress. I got one from ebay. A smiley yellow one who's face I squished 3 times a day lol ! 99 pence it cost and I think it helped with as after a few weeks it was easier.. I'm 9 months and 2 weeks in. I Still can't return to my original work. I'm just not fit enough. ( hip fracture as well as left wrist colles fracture) and part time roles for me, there's nothing sadly coming up but I'm looking daily. Do keep up with your excersises. Keep your wrist warm. Wear gloves . I find I get stabbing pains as soon as I go out in the cold. My wrist is still tender sometimes and my fingers still stiff in the mornings. Its very very slow progress but things like taking change in a shop are easier. Make a mental note to yourself of things that you progress with. I try to use this as a positive rather than dwelling on a simple accident that has been life changing for me. Just to add I pestered the Bone density department where I had my Dexa scan for suspected osteoporosis and the results have shown normal. This is a huge relief and part of my taking another step forward. Good luck to you Monica for your progress. Keep us posted.x

• Posted

Just had distal radius surgery on 10-29/18 due to wrist being broken in 3 places. Doing therapy 3x a week and this is the most horrible thing ive ever been thru. IM RIGHT handed and its my right wrist. Cant drive, shower myself or dress myself. Ive read other comments from a year or 2 ago that are similar to what im going thru. did anyone have any inprovement or good recovery?

• Posted

hello,

i had a slow recovery and my wrist is almost as good as new, it has been 16 months since i broke it and it HAS gotten better. it will take time and therapy to loosen up the tendons and muscles from not using it. EVEN if it hurts u must do the therapy or it will atrophy. good luck 😃

• Posted

Thank you. IVE ALWAYS BEEN INDEPENDENT AND THIS IS SO DEPRESSING. I LOVE MY JOB AS A TEACHER AN AM ACTUALLY MISSING GOING TO WORK EVERY DAY. IM UP AT NIGHT BC OF THE DISCOMFORT SO MY SLEEP IS ALL MESSED UP. HAD TO CANCEL A DREAM TRIP TO ST LUCIA OVER XMAS BC SURGEON SAID NO FLYING BC OF ALL THE SWELLING. IM GLAD TO HEAR THERE IS HOPE. IM 57 SO MAYBE AGE IS AGAINST ME? SRY FOR THE CAPS; DIFFICULT TO TYPE.

• Posted

I KNOW the feeling of depression following the injury. COMPLETE hopelessness. I thought my wrist was ruined. Granted its not the same, i still have an arm, wrist, and hand. THANK GOD! I fell from about 18 feet onto the asphalt and shattered my radius and broke my ulna. THE hardware placed to fix my bone did its job, but...... the screws used to hold it were too long for my bone causing more injury. I was in physical therapy for 7 months. I Hated everything, now my job has been affected. I could have broken my neck or back. time is all you need and you will heal.

• Posted

ITS GOOD TO TALK TO SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS. I GO TO PT 3X A WEEK AND SHE SPENDS ABOUT 2 HRS WITH ME BUT LIKE YOU, I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS. IM THANKFUL THAT I HAVE FAMILY TO DRIVE ME TO APPOINTMENTS BUT I DONT LIKE DEPENDING ON OTHERS. I ALSO HAVE A horse that i cant ride now so this is ruining my life. thank god i have a union to protect my job for now because my supervisor is making noises about job abandonment, etc and doesnt understand why im not back at work. when you cant shower or dress without help or drive, what are you supposed to do? SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A nasty fall and the part about the surgery certainly didn't help but I'm glad to hear you're on the mend. I was at Penn State for a work conference and decided it would be a good idea to climb on the Nittany Lion statue for a photo op and instead I fell off. Like you said, thank God I didn't wind up with brain damage or broken hip because I landed on concrete too. It was my own stupid fault but I had no idea all this was going to take so long and be so depressing. Thanks for sharing your story I appreciate it.

• Posted

you are welcome. keep up with the therapy and they will gradually reduce the number of times you have to go when improvement is seen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.