Writing hand anxiety?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone.  I’m super frustrated with an intermittent problem that crops up regularly whereby my writing hand/fingers/wrist/arm muscles get tight, shakes, twitches, etc when I write.  For example when trying to sign my name (illegible) or fill-in a form.  It appears to be anxiety (under pressure) realated, as there are other times when I can write smoothly (seemingly when I’m calm, not focused, or tired). Obviously when I’m having an episode i get frustrated and it gets worse.  

I have been living/managing with this for quite some time.  I’ve had tests, but they can’t find anything.  Its likened to some forms of performance anxiety.  

I was wondering if anyone here has experienced this and how they solved the problem.  Maybe you had some “tricks” to quickly stop or distract my system so that I could function during these episodes.  I’ve tried:

- Breathing

- Eyes closed

- Loud music

- Visualization

- Looking away

- Pinching or pressure on hand/arm muscles

- Distraction 

- Rushing myself

- Writing with the other hand

- I’ve tried a few meds, but nothing quite worked.  

Any recommendations or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.   Im desperate for a solution.  

Thanks!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello tsea,

It looks to me like movement disorder. I’m no doctor but I’ve been dealing with the same symptoms for a long time even though I am under treatment  for tardive dyskinesia. A lot of symptoms are under control but some remain. It’s still very hard to write, to sign my name. I noticed that when I’m calm it’s easier. Have you consulted a neurologist?

• Posted

Thanks lucie41026 for the response.  I have yet to see a neurologist. Might be a good idea. Thanks.  It’s pretty frustrating to have these episodes.  The anxiety and defeating thoughts that go along with it is off the charts.  I keep thinking there is a simple fix, but not so...
  • Posted

Ah, Tsea.... I can relate to this ...... my handwriting is terrible and is getting worse... thx for posting the coping techniques... I will try them... ❤

• Posted

I hope you find one that is helpful.  I have also heard that beta blockers may help, but have not looked into them.   
  • Posted

Hi Tsea,

I would ask your doctor to refer you to a Neurologist.

Many people these days walk around without even realizing they have numerous nerve disorders.

If I sign for anything, my signature is never the same twice. I suffer from what we used to call "writers cramp" years ago. However, the correct medical term is "Hand Dystonia" - it is part of the Dystonic groups of Nerve Conditions. This is the correct term from the British Medical Journal 2018.

Everything you mention is quite common, eventhough Dystonia is still classed as a relatively new disorder, even these days. I have suffered from it for over 30 years. It took Neurologists 18 months to actually to come to a prognosis, for me.

With me though "Hand Dystonia" is just a few limbs affected. My main ailment is Chronic Generalised Dystonia, but I also have Cervical Torsion Dystonia, which I has to be treated with BoTox injections by a Neurologist every 10 weeks. I do have many other problems, but I am not listing off of them.

As for a cure, there is no cure as such, but it can be controlled by various medications - In my case I take nearly 50 tablets a day, at 7 preset times.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Regards,

SteV3

• Posted

Thanks so much SteV3.  This information is very helpful.  I have an appt to see my GP and i’ll ask him refer me to a Neurologist for an evaluation.  I hope they can give me some answers and recommendations.   Thanks!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.