Wrong diagnosis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been told by two rheumatologists that I have fibro but I don't have the chronic fatigue and tiredness that is commonly associated with the syndrom.  I have widespread pain all over my body but there are other problems such as acid reflux, arthritis in my hip, back, and knee.  I also have three  bulging discs in my neck and degenerative disc disease.  I've been to several doctors and been told I have TMD, Trigeminal Neuralgia, and migraines because of the chronic headaches.  In addition, I have anxiety and panic attacks which makes things worse because of all the aches and pains.  My calfs hurt all the time, I have stomach pains, chest pains, pain under my arms and breasts.  I have facial tingling and numbness and pain in my temples  most days.  

All bloodwork and tests are always normal.  I stress out because I don't know if these are fibro symptoms or something else.  I have tried lexapro and effexor for the anxiety and had bad reactions to both. I am now reluctant to try anything new.  Has anyone else had facial numbness with Fibro?  It is really scary.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sometimes we need to be our own advocates. Years ago no help for any arthritis docs would tell me over and over. Nothing they can do for arthritis.

Then diagnoses with FM doc's would say it's really a catch all name for not finding any reason that causes the symptoms of pain. Today there is more and more evidence to prove FM does exist.

We need to do our homework because you want to make sure your doctor believes in fibro and treats it. You can check at your hospital or, if you have a teaching hospital near you, they would probably have a good doctor there. Also, read the doctors' ads in the yellow pages. Many times they list what illnesses they treat. Be sure to call the office, too, and ask if they treat patients with fibromyalgia. I make sure my doctor is board certified. I use an Internist but many use a Rheumatologist to treat their fibromyalgia. 

• Posted

I think Fibro is different for everyone. I don't wake up with terrible stiffness that is common with fibro and I don't have excruciating pain, I just ache in areas close to the tender points. And some days, I ache all over. I go through my phases of "what if I really just have something else" and that in itself makes me feel physically worse. But I make myself stop googling my symptoms, take it one day at a time, and I start to feel better. Anyway, just because you don't have the exact symptoms as others don't let that worry you. I truly think it manifests itself differently for each person.

• Posted

Most days I feel pretty sorry for myself with this illness, but when I read your symptoms I realize that there are many people who suffer more than I do. I have had fibro for about thirty years I think, but it was not diagnosed until last year when I went to a pain clinic. I worked al of the time with terrible pain almost everywhere in my body, I slept for just a few hours every night but I was never tired. Now I am so exhausted all of the time, often I don't have the energy to walk across a room, and I sleep for about 16 hours each day. So just be thankful that the tiredness hasn't arrived yet, and hope it never does, because for me it is the worst part of the illness. The paIn is more or less under control now with Oxycontin, but what can I do for the tiredness? I am not suprised that you have anxiety and panic attacks with all of the symptoms you have. I was diagnosed with so many different illnesses over the years, and treated for each thing individualy but none of the doctors put it all together and realised it was all part of the same illness, fibromalgia. I saw rheumotologists who diagnosed moderate arthritis, and degenerative discs, but none of them suggested fibromalgia. I also suffered stomach pains , acid reflux etc, but that is under control now with Domperidone and Gaviscon, so perhaps you could ask to try that. Pain in the calfs is always worrying you should get that looked at. I had phlebitis several times with painful calfs and 3 times the clots moved to my lungs and I had pulmonary embolisms. I don't have facial numbness, so I don't have any ideas for help for that. I do hope you find something soon, because I know how you feel. This illness IS very scary, because new symptoms seem to pop up all of the time, and not knowing what will be next frightens me too. I also have pain under my breasts and arms, and find wearing a bra very uncomfortable now, I feel as though I am being crushed. Everything seems to be exagerated with this illness, but I don't want to take tablets for anxiety because they always make me feel as if I am living in a fog. I like to have my mind completely bright and clear, I hate the sensation I get when I take antidepressants etc, and like you the side effects I got were not pleasant. Take care

• Posted

Your symptoms are worse than mine. I have had both legs checked for clots twice in the last couple of years. Both reports were normal. I have had CT scan and MRI on my head but the only showed the protruding discs in neck. I know that tiredness is a major concern with Fibromyalgia but so far, I only have that occasionally.
    • Posted

I'm so glad you see worse cases than yourself.It really does

help in knowing.And be sooo glad your fatigue is low.Mine

is a daily thing.I was given a tip by another forum member called The spoon theory by Christine Miserandino on how to manage

the fatigue

• Posted

You just wrote part of my story bookbabe,I too have osteoarthritis

degenerative disc disease,acid reflux and anxiety disorder.

I started getting the numbness feeling in my lower legs one day

and it slowly in a short period of time climbed up my body to my

face.I was sure I had MS.I went to neurologist for tests,he did the

Electrical nerve tests called EMG.I had MRI of the brain and seen

my eye dr.I got so many odd symptoms through the years that

were not typical of fibro,so I thought.And these always happened

when I was not stressed.I too tried all the anti depressants and

could not tolerate any of them for the side effects.

I thought nobody would ever believe me.Every blood test or imaging test came back clear or negative.So frustrating.But I held out,not letting

anyone allow me to give up.This was over 10 years ago when fibro

was even harder to diagnose.

We all carry fibro uniquely as individuals.No cookie cutter pattern

really accept the widespread pain.

You have found a wonderful forum.Something I would have given

my eye teeth for years ago.Hang in there and try to relax awhile.

Don't over think everything .Sometimes it helps to just step back

and take a breather.Also,cutting out sugar,caffeine and junk food

anything processed is a major help in reducing symptoms.

Also try to find ways to laugh,watch a funny movie or just

whatever makes you smile smile .It really helps reduce the anxiety.

Sending warm hugs and thougts.Tory

• Posted

I have just been diagnosed with fibro n like u I don’t suffer with fatigue. I don’t struggle to sleep or falling asleep n sometimes I am tired or can’t get up but isn’t that normal. I had headaches and dizzy spells and was in hospital a week 3 years back but no reason for them and last year they have died off to random dizzy spells occasionally. I suffer with arm and leg pain in my bones I get stiff hips and knees and shoulders on and off no pattern ( isn’t that old age ? )  I have tennis elbow that comes n goes. I go the gym I exercise and work. I know some cases they don’t work they are so bad. I get pins n needles around my lips n a burning sensation in my mouth now and again but never really enough to think about it as a problem.  I get pain on left breast and swelling under arm to the point I can’t wear a bra ( i read that is fibro related )  I have a pain in my pelvis area atm and I have been back and forwards to the drs and broke down crying because I am anxious and scared one day it will be serious and im constantly there with pains or toilet troubles from medication i take for pain relief. ( they now say ibs is linked to it )  I don’t think i fit in to any fibro bracket but they are sure i have it!! I just know its to the point im worried sick ill get something like cancer n its dismissed as fibro. I feel embarrassed!
    • Posted

Have you had the pressure point tests? That is a certain way to diagnose fibromalgia. You say "dismissed as fibromalgia" as though it is an illness of little importance, unfortuately it can be very debilitating, extremely painful and ruin your quality of life. At least they have cures for cancer, they don't have a cure for us. Your symptoms taken one at a time may not seem like much, but put it all together and it certainly sounds like Fibro. I had numerous illnesses each treated individually for over twenty years before I got a diagnosis of fibromalgia. If you go to your library look at a book on fibromalgia, you will find all of your symptoms listed. I understand your fears that something serious could be missed because the doctors think it is all because of fibro. I have the same fear at the moment because of very strange sensations I have been getting in the back of my head. I am afraid it could be the warning signs of a stroke, but apparently fibro can also cause the same sort of sensations. That is the trouble with this illness it mimics so many others. A few years ago I had inexplicable fainting fits and went into hospital for a week for tests, they never found out what was wrong, and eventually it stopped, but I still get dizzy spells like you. I thought it must be low blood pressure, but my BP is about 15 so it's not that. I also have terrible pains in my pelvic area, like cramp in my bladder, but it comes and goes. It is almost guaranteed to flare up if I am in a bus or train for too long in the same position, and if I need to go to the toilet I have learned that I can suffer bladder cramps for up to two days afterwards if I don't go immediately. And DON"T FEEL EMBARRASSED. It is not your fault that you are sick, and it is normal to need reassurance. Take care

• Posted

I know how you feel with worry about symptoms that may or may not be fibro.  I think my anxiety is half the problem.  
    • Posted

There is no need to feel embarrassed.  I know what your mean, though because I had the same issue.  I have gone to a bunch of doctors and have felt like a hypochondriac because test results always come back as normal.  I have been seeing a therapist and she says that I should not feel embarrassed as I am trying to find a solution to a physical problem. I have chronic headaches and the "what if it is a brain tumor or anurysim" feelings show up at least once a week.  Also, the what if that doctor is wrong feelings creep in too when the test come back as normal.  Therapy is helping me to cope with this and I try not to take medications, only a Klonopin when I have a panic attack. Reading all of these posts sure help me to feel like I am not the only person struggling with this crazy syndrom.  Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.