Wrong Diagnosis numbness in both legs!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was dx in 2014 with MS after optic neuritis and tingling in my right hand and arm so muddled by with lyrica and steroids etc then four months ago both my feet lost feeling like I'm walking on cotton wool it then progressed to both legs I understand this is not usual for MS (having identical symptoms on both sides of the body) anyone have any ideas? Without being too crass my feminine workings are also now losing feeling I am going back to neurologist but now am using crutches and seem to have a serious intolerance to hot water I am wondering if I've been diagnosed incorrectly?

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

You symptoms are not unusual, and yes, the loss of sensation you describe is also quite common.
    • Posted

Thank you! It's all very new and I think I was just worried because numerous people said with MS it tended to affect one side not mirror symptoms on both sides

• Posted

It sounds like a relapse to me, which I think someone else suggested. I had both feet lose sensation and feel cold no matter what I wore - thermal socks, fleece lined boots, etc - and it lasted for about a month. A friend of mine with MS permanently has no sensation in either of her feet. Yes, often only one side is affected, but it all depends on which nerves are involved. I have found that treatment from a good osteopath and a good acupuncturist can speed up recovery time. Hope this helps. I know it is unpleasant and scary when these flare ups happen.
    • Posted

Thank you so much this is what I have exactly! I hope yours has gone? Did the thermal socks help?
    • Posted

Hi Emma, no the thermal socks didn't help, but fortunately it went away after about 3 weeks.  Prior to that my relapses were all localised to my left side - I would get numbness that started under my bust and went right down to my toes.  Then I had the "cold" feet thing.  I've also had optic neuritis and a horrible relapse that made me lose my balance and at the same time I had numbness across the right side of my face and down my right arm.  That one left permanent damage; I have some loss of sensation in my right hand that gets worse if I'm tired or stressed.  I take pregabalin (Lyrica) for that, and it does help.  I also get some tremor, and have been known to throw a cup of coffee over the bed when my hand just twitched! My worst and most frustrating symptom is fatigue.  I have to pace myself very carefully, and can wake up tired even after doing nothing and having a good night's sleep.  All of this led to me retiring 3 years ago as I just couldn't manage to do my job.  I've since discovered my creative side.  I've just started an HND in Fashion & Textiles.  I have all my fingers and toes crossed that I'll stay well enough to complete it.

• Posted

Wow so much of what you describe sounds familiar but not the face paralysis I take Lyrica as I have very bad tingles and tremors in my right hand and water (hot water) seems to make it much much worse - I think it's wonderful about your HND! I started colouring last year to help keep my fingers active I hope you keep going with that and the fatigue doesn't get too much to handle whilst doing that. I've had damage since ON last year and slight loss of vision in one eye but as much as this disease is horrible I think keeping your brain busy i.e. Your HND helps hugely

• Posted

I have been having a lot of the symptoms you guys have been talking about on here but I don't have a formal diagnosis yet I only just fount a dr/ acupuncturist who was willing to help me and has just sent a referral to a neurologist after my MRI I had done over a year ago. Showing lesions in the deep white matter of both side of my cerebellum and lesions in the pons. I spoke to the dr about having acupuncture and he said it only really helps pain and is rather costly to have done. I don't know if that is because of the country I live in or generally everywhere. My dr is Chinese so I've heard they are the experts on acupuncture. Can anyone give advise on this?

• Posted

Have you had an x-ray or MRI of lower spine? I also had some numbness/weakness in the legs and it turned out I had a bulging disc in the s1-l5 area.
    • Posted

That sounds painful! I'm having an MRI on my lower spine soon - hope you've had some relief?

• Posted

When are you going to just accept that you have MS?  You have had multiple dx's.

• Posted

I'm not disputing I was dx with MS I just didn't think it was common to have mirror symptoms in both feet and both legs!

• Posted

LibraDragon64 had a better answer than mine, but remember your question began with "wrong diagnosis".

• Posted

That's a rude answer. Lots of people are misdiagnosed. She is intelligent for questioning it and wanting to be sure. Only a fool takes a doctor's word for something without learning about it thoroughly for themselves.

• Posted

I do not agree. I wrote to her saying I thought another answer on the board made more sense; she could have revised her post; but no, she reacted angrily to me.
    • Posted

I wasn't reacting angrily but I do apologise if it came across that way that was not my intention at all - I do agree I should have probably not put that title as it's misleading - I'm very new to this forum and MS so do apologise if I appeared to be antagonistic

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.