Wrong iol?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had cataract surgery 9 days ago, and although my vision is clearer, I am nearsighted instead of the expected farsighted. My doctor first said that it might be one of the drops, and exchanged that, but it hasn't changed at all. I also have a crescent shaped dark area in my peripheral vision, which he has said will eventually disappear. I have postponed the surgery scheduled for my right eye until this has been corrected. I strongly suspect that I received the wrong IOL implant. Has anyone else had this problem? Please help!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Luckily I had a friend who this happened too so I knew to query choices, and I asked for one that matched the sight I was used to. Distance good with reading glasses for close work. I am sure that you have had one that is focused for close vision. Glasses or contacts may help or the lens is wrong and need changing. Query with the Doctor but do not accept vagueness!

The crescent shape does disappear for most people. It's sounds like Negative Dysphotopsia and usually goes but there is no set period. Days, weeks of even months. I was told that it would disappear but not told why or how it would go. Your brain will realise it should not be there and eliminate it. In my case it did not so I am looking at alternatives, but only about 1 1/2 % are left with the shadow.

• Posted

Thank you, Dennis. We did discuss my options at length before surgery. When I wore contacts (years ago) I had monovision, and was fine with it, but for the surgery I opted for distance vision with reading glasses. When I discovered I was nearsighted instead, the doctor first blamed it on drops, then said it should clear up soon. It hasn't. I'm curious to see what he says after refractive testing Friday. My concern is having this happen with the other eye, since I don't know if it's my eyes or the lens - definately don't want to wind up completely nearsighted!

• Posted

It looks like you have the wrong lens. Common sense says it is not drops! If you want a cheap second opinion go and see your local Optician. I'm in the UK and that's what we call them. I get the impression you are North America.

I have decided not to have the other eye cataract done until I decide what to do about the shadow as there is a good chance that it will happen on the other eye as well!

It may happen that your eye will adjust to compensate for the near lens. Just a thought but some people have a close up contact in one eye and a distance in the other and you get the best of both. I tried it and did not get on with that. I doubt your surgeon did this on purpose though!

• Posted

No, I'm certainly not blaming the surgeon. He's one of the top-rated in my area. I will be going soon for more testing, and will see if he's able to give me a reasonable explanation and solution. In the meantime, I'll wait for this to be resolved before I do the other eye. Very disappointing! 

Thanks again for your input!

• Posted

Could you see another eye dr. I had the wrong lense the first time . Then the second lense was for a stigmatism. Still was off my vision in the eye was worse than with the cataract. Then they did laser and that made it worse now I see double. 

Went off to get other opinion and no one knows why my vision has become worse instead of better. 

I too have out off the second eye. Will do it with another doctor. Right now just getting rest from the first three on one eye and very hesitant to have it done again. 

Considering the outcome was not good and no one seems to follow thru and discuss what happened I'm done for now. 

• Posted

Its likely you received the IOL implant they intended, but that the power of the IOL was wrong. Unfortunately determining the lens power needed isn't an exact science, it is based on statistical analysis of past patients eye measurements and the IOL power that would have worked for them. For most people the results are fairly accurate, but for some people the forumulas used to determine an IOL power can be off, most commonly among those that had high prescriptions before surgery (either highly myopic or hyperopic).  The lens can change position slightly over the first few weeks of healing, which may make you more or less nearsighted. After it stabilizes, they can either correct the issue through wearing correction or via laser surgery  or a lens exchange.  

The negative dysphotopsia usually goes away as someone noted, but in some minority of cases they need to consider things like a lens exchange to a lens with a different size or matieral, or a piggyback lens.

• Posted

I wish it all worked for me as you wrote. I guess there are a few of us that get a difficult outcome. My op eye sight ten times worse than it was before surgery. They did it all and cannot fix what two lenses and laser did. 

Imsee double with with or without glasses. It's frustrating. I have learned to change glasses a couple times a day. Different strengths so the good eye isn't overworked, helps with seeing double . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.