Wrong Walking Style

Posted , 3 users are following.

I recently broke my ankle and am starting to walk again. I am starting to get a lot of knee pain. Could this be caused by walking incorrectly? If so in what ways can I improve my walking technique. Please help...my knee Pain is getting worse everyday. Thanks for your responses.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bob, sorry to hear.  I suggest that you definitely see your doctor about this and possibly a physiotherapist. If it's due to walking incorrectly only then the physiotherapist will be able to help you with that. But you really need a diagnosis from a doctor.

• Posted

Yea...it took me a lot of work, but success!

1. sturdy walking shoes

2. small, quality steps

3. slow, quality steps

4. remember foot down, roll up onto your toes, step

5. use one crutch if that is how you can quality walk

6. avoid the tendency to turn the leg out to compensate for holding the ankle rigid.

7. practice...a nice carpeted hallway is great...go about 20-25 feet.

8. ice & elevate above your hearr

9. consider compression stockings in black to the knee

I will take work.

• Posted

You could see a sports Physio, but looking into a full length mirror might help. Is your body straight when walking, is your leg/ ankles look the same motion when walking.

Good healing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.