Wrongly diagnosed Blepharitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Thought I would just add my mother's recent experience with this condition, which may help others.

She has had a slightly swollen right eyelid, on and off for months. The base of the lashes were very irritating, and the skin around the eye would become very dry, but no other symptoms.

Various doctors at her surgery prescribed varying strengths of antibiotics, but no examination.

On holiday in Jersey last week, she woke with her eyelid and cheek so swollen that we took her straight to A and E.

At first the doctor thought it was occular cellulitis, but when she saw the ophthalmic consultant, who carried out a full eye examination, he could see tiny blisters with the aid of a microscope. She actually had shingles of the eye. There was no pain experienced, just very bad swelling.

A heavy dose of anti viral medication was prescribed, plus cream to go inside the eyelid.

She's now almost back to normal.

Would encourage anyone to push for a full eye examination.

Photo of eye prior to treatment, below; Previous day it was completely ok.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your poor mother.  How lucky you went to Jersey.

I hope you show her GPs the photo

• Posted

HI MeoonMojo

so glad your mother is a lot better after her examination and treatment (albiet late) she must have been in complete agony with it. i know what it islike and mine is just dry sore and itchy nothing like that!! hope she is quickly on the mend and she does not suffer like that again jeanetterolleyes  as mrs mop says show the phots to your GP

• Posted

Thank you. She did show her own GP photos this morning. Apparently they were glanced at and no comment was made! 

Hope you own condition improves too.

• Posted

HI MeonMojo

that does not surprise there is some GPs like that and others are really good i am sad to say your mother was on the wrong side of a good GP!!! hope fully now they will take more notice in future!! i am lucky i found this site by accident and there was some good tips on more so from Lynda79 and she said to try wet ones been cleaning eyes 4 times a day with baby shampoo and cooled boiled water and cotton wool.now i just clean twice a day some times if i feel a flare up up 3 times but no more and they are a lot better(can wear mascara again) for i dont know how long!!  well rambling on a bit but i wish you and your mother well jeanette43594 rolleyessmile  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.