X-ray at 9 week, scarf and Atkins surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi.  I went today for checkup and X-rays, I asked to take a photo and thought others might like to see, especially where the scarf and akin screws and staples are.  Apparently all,is normal ams straight, however I've been told the swelling is going to be with me for a year or if I'm unlucky indefinitely!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It certainly looks impressive. Wish i had taken a photo of mines. I got my xrays at 6 weeks though. How have you been getting about since you had your surgery? ie what shoes have you been wearing?

• Posted

I bought Teva active sandals to come out of the wedge shoe, wonderful wide sole and minimal straps with Velcro for swelling.  Hotter shoes with slight heel, they have covered back but two Velcro straps over toe and instep, a little more for dress and give me more protection. Without the toes covered.  And today I bought some Skecher trainers.  They are lace-up so allows me to make the left foot wider.  Very comfortable and soft, also have a good sole that will give me support, I hope!
  • Posted

Hi Barbara 

Snap! Mine looked just like yours (at 6 weeks) and also on left foot. I am keeping the swelling down to a minimum by elevating whenever possible and not wearing tight shoes. I did wear wellies the otherday because I had to go out in long grass and it was wet (I live in the country) and I found it fine for a bit but horrible to take them off and my foot swelled up. I've come to the conclusion that velcro style sandals like the ones you have are best. 

I have been swimming a few times and I think thats helping, maybe not my foot so much as my whole body being able to relax more and start using muscles again. I'm not over doing it - just 20 mins breast stroke and treading water. Yesterday I started to drive my manual car. I was worried about using the clutch but wore the thickest soled shoe/sandal I could find and it was fine.

The thing thats bothering me more than anything is the rest of my body - I have all kinds of aches and pains up and down my back and I know its part of the process but I feel like an old lady (I'm 52). I am going to see a podiatrist on Friday to have a look at my walking as I want to make sure I'm walking with my foot in the best way for fastest healing, and to ask for some exercises/physio as I dont have any apart from flexing the big toe. 

I still take my crutch outwith me if I'm going somewhere crowded as I don't want to be troddon on and it signals a bit more clearly to keep out of the way. Also people are more helpful!

I have a posh wedding coming up and was interested to read about your shoes - I would like to wear something a bit prettier than a velcro sandal...any tips on where to look?

• Posted

Hi Stella, good to hear from you and to know we are going through similar healing process.  I have hotter 'best' shoes.  I went to the shop about 10 miles away, to try on for fit, but I did purchase online as there was a sale. I like them as they have a back to the shoe and two Velcro straps to adjust over tow and instep.  

Here are some pics.

• Posted

They look nice and sturdy, we have a store in Cheltenham so I'll go and have a look... The velcro adjustment is very handy for the end of the day, eh? x
    • Posted

It certainly is a good feeling when you get to drive again. How far into recovery are you? I drove for the first time today (9.5 weeks) for a short distance but had good soled sandals on too and it felt good. Great to know i have my freedom back. Im the same as you with all the aches and pains but hoping i will be fixed out with physio.I'm only 46 and would like to feel normal again.
    • Posted

I had mine done on 1st April so about 9 weeks ago. I find driving is okay - did 5 miles in to town so quite a lot of clutch use (I had my laft foot done) and I think there is a limit to what I can do as it does feel quite heavy and although I cant say its painful I can feel extra aches with driving. But as you say - its great to have some freedom (I live on my own in the country, so it was starting to drive me mad!) 

I am seeing a podiatrist tomo as I want to check I am doing all I can to aid the healing process and would like to do more walking in the 'right' way.

• Posted

Oh, so i had both my feet done 2 days before you. Glad you're free again smile.

Keep me posted on what your podiatrist advises for you walking properly.

• Posted

My foot was done on 30 March so looks like we're all close on op.  I feel so lucky as I bought a car at beginning of year and changed to auto, at the time I didn't know I was having the op.  It's so good to drive, freedom!  and of course I don't need my left foot.  Please let me know all that the podiatrist says about walking and progress, my consultant just said I'll see you in 2 months and that's only because I'm unhappy about my hammer toe op, it's still very sore.  But no help on how to recover, almost as if they're saying just get on with it.  So pleased about this forum, I've picked up so many tips from like people.  Hope you find some shoes you like.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.